DeKalb after dark: Catering to 2 communities

The inside of Molly’s Eatery & Dinery show several drinks sitting behind the bar. Molly’s is one of DeKalb’s bars that attracts college students and townies. (Northern Star File Photo)

DeKalb’s rustic-style nightlife struggles to find a balance between students and townies. 

DeKalb is not known for its nightlife, as the small, western Chicago suburb is nestled between corn fields that drape the town in a rural feel. Students and townies have grown accustomed to DeKalb’s lackluster bar scene, with many committing to their personal favorite. These bars have become central stations where the DeKalb community mixes and mingles with each other.

DeKalb bars have struggled to stay open in the sleepy college commuter town for quite some time. However, there are three bars that seem to break the mold and reign supreme in DeKalb: Molly’s Eatery & Drinkery, Fatty’s Pub & Grille, and Lord Stanley’s and the Annex. These bars do their best to offer something for everyone, whether it is food, drinks, music or just the atmosphere. 

MOLLY’S EATERY & DRINKERY (1000 W. LINCOLN HIGHWAY)

Walking into Molly’s, the speaker’s booming bass fills the ears of customers as the doors open. Molly’s is known for hosting events and specials for NIU students. The college bar is known for its music and electric atmosphere on the weekends, especially “Thirsty Thursday.”

“I think when it comes to student life, Molly’s definitely has the most students coming to hang out,” said Miranda Mechanic, a senior kinesiology major. “DeKalb’s nightlife is lacking compared to other D1 schools. We need more bars that are surrounded by music and not just drinking.” 

Molly’s does have a resident DJ that hosts on weekends, but the small space makes it hard to really move around. However, Molly’s is known to be creative behind the bar, with a host of different mixed drinks and shots to try. 

“My favorite shot there is a Froot Loop shot,” Mechanic said. “It’s very sweet and tastes really good. It tastes exactly like Froot Loops.” 

For those interested in a cool new drink, vibrant tunes or LED lighting, head over to Molly’s for the college bar experience.

FATTY’S PUB & GRILLE (1312 W. LINCOLN HIGHWAY)

Fatty’s is DeKalb’s family-friendly bar that is popular among students and townies. The bar’s popularity is largely due to its overwhelmingly delicious food menu. The sports bar is known for its cajun fried potato salad and its unwavering support for the NIU Huskies. Many students are seen visiting on Monday Night Football for the half-price wings. 

“My favorite thing about Fatty’s is the food, specifically the wings,” said Monica Fernandez, a senior accounting major. “They have really good discounts especially if you join the mug club. It’s a lot slower of a pace than I would prefer to go out in, but it’s a top-tier pregame spot.” 

Fernandez believes that DeKalb’s nightlife is struggling due to the lack of people showing up to events.

“It’s just dry, not a lot of people go out anymore,” Fernandez said. “Everyone just goes home for the weekend, so there isn’t really anyone here to go out.”

Fatty’s hosts a number of weekly events that cater to both students and townies hoping to have some fun. The bar hosts trivia, karaoke and a podcast during the week for customers to come and watch or join along.

LORD STANLEY’S AND THE ANNEX (142 E. LINCOLN HIGHWAY)

Stanley’s is a DeKalb classic, as the mid-sized dive bar sits in the heart of downtown DeKalb. On first arrival, the bar is fitted in a grunge biker aesthetic with names written in Sharpie filling the walls and tables. Stanley’s is home to where many Huskies had their first legal drink because the bar is a favorite amongst both students and townies. 

“It’s a mixture of a townie bar and a college bar, so it’s the best of both worlds,” said Kevin Hanson, a Stanley’s bartender. “DeKalb’s night life needs some work. The one place this town is missing is somewhere to show off your moves.”

The local bar is known for its $20 large pizza and a pitcher special that is great for a little studying break. The pizza at Stanley’s was rated a 7.3/10 by famous pizza reviewer Dave Portnoy.While Stanley’s is the least visually appealing out of the bars on the list, it is apparent both students and townies have a great connection with staff and the establishment. 

“I don’t think we’re better than any of the other bars; but if I’m going out drinking, I come here because of the friendly atmosphere, and I know a lot of faces. It’s home,” Hanson added.

The dive bar has a loyal cult following no matter the occasion. 

DeKalb is trying to cater a little of everything to everyone with its nightlife, but something is still missing. The general consensus seems to be a nightclub where people can dance.

“La Calle” is a more recent addition to DeKalb nightlife that has tried to bring a dance club experience to the downtown area; however, it has not found much success. 

As people go out, there is nowhere that is sustainable for high energy events. This is creating a noticeable gap in nightlife. The electric dance floor is needed to wake up the sleepy town of DeKalb on the weekends and keep crowds flowing.