Violent video games aren’t dangerous

Robin Gamboa
A hand pulls a sword out of a monitor. The claim that violent video games lead to aggressive behavior is a myth. (Robin Gamboa | Northern Star)

Video games should be enjoyed as a fun hobby instead of being linked to creating violence among individuals. Individuals choose to be violent, and video games depicting violence have no influence as to whether individuals are aggressive or not. Just because someone plays a violent video game does not mean they are abusive.

Correlation and causation play a huge role in the linking between violent video games and aggressive individuals. However, correlation and causation are different terms with different meanings, and the general public needs to stop confusing them. 

Correlation is a relationship between two concepts whereas causation is the act of initiating something, according to Amplitude. Correlation does not imply causation, even though causation and correlation may sound similar. 

There is a major lack of evidence to support the idea that violent video games lead to aggression. While there is some research about this topic, none of the research is accurate. 

For instance, a study that was published in The Royal Society journal says there is no evidence of the statement that brutal video games create criminals.

Another study that was done through the University of York that was published in Science Daily says that video game concepts have nothing to do with ‘priming’ individuals to behave violently.

There are many video games that depict criminal activities like battery, domestic abuse and shootings, such as Grand Theft Auto, Call of Duty and Mortal Kombat. However, individuals do not become hotheaded just from playing violent video games.

Randy McCarthy, assistant professor in NIU’s Department of Psychology, explained other factors could contribute to individuals becoming aggressive.

“There’s, you know, temporary mental states when people are drinking alcohol or under the influence. They’re not making the best decisions, and that can lead them to be violent,” McCarthy said.

McCarthy also mentioned that parents can play their part in being aware of the games their children are playing.

“I guess like with anything within families, parents should be mindful of or aware of what games their kids are playing, and they can have a conversation on whether that’s appropriate for them,” McCarthy said.

It is urgent that the general public understands graphic video games do not lead to criminal behavior, and there is no evidence to prove graphic video games and criminal behavior are linked.