Save your world and wallet, buy an electric vehicle

A woman plugs a charger into an electric car. Buying an electric car can be beneficial to the environment and your wallet. (Getty Images)

Illinois is taking a step in the right direction when it comes to protecting the environment. The Illinois Environmental Protection Agency is encouraging Illinois residents to buy an electric vehicle by providing rebates when purchasing an electric car between Nov. 1 and Jan. 31.

The program is giving $4,000 in rebates when you purchase an all-electric vehicle and $1,500 for all-electric motorcycles.

You will also be doing a service to your environment when you purchase an electric vehicle. With them being environmentally friendly, you are not emitting pollutants into the air. 

A typical passenger vehicle can emit about 4.6 metric tons of CO2 per year, according to the EPA. The amount of CO2 that gas powered vehicles put into our environment is dangerous. CO2 is a greenhouse gas that traps heat in the atmosphere, according to NASA.

Electric cars have a positive impact on your wallet as well with lower costs on maintenance because the car has fewer moving parts. It also does not require gasoline because it’s chargeable. Because it is not gas powered, you also don’t need an oil change, according to The New York Times. There’s also a federal tax credit up to $7,500 when buying an electric vehicle.

When buying an electric vehicle, you are not only doing your wallet a favor but the environment as well. If you need a new vehicle, an electric one is definitely a great option to consider.