NIU marketed through student success

By Paul Kirk

Colleges around the country are searching for new ways to market themselves since the recession.

However, NIU officials said the university is looking toward the 21st century with enthusiasm and excitement.

“A number of universities are finding their enrollment down and resorting to marketing their resources. We don’t have to do that,” said NIU President John La Tourette.

La Tourette said the Vision Committee, formed in 1990, researched the questions “What kind of university is NIU?” and “What kind of university will NIU be?”

The Vision Committee will help to develop NIU in the future, La Tourette said. So far, it’s helped to better the understanding of what type of university NIU’s been historically, he said.

“NIU is a university of choice. We have no problems with enrollment,” said Eddie Williams, vice president for Finance and Planning.

“The King piece could represent the way NIU is going. It’s so delicate of a balance,” Williams said.

“NIU is trying to serve underserved areas. The university is trying to respond to the environment it’s been placed,” said J. Carroll Moody, executive secretary of the University Council.

NIU is experiencing an increase in the number of minority students accepted every year, Moody said.

Williams said Sears Corporation and other business areas linking up with the university help the economic development of the university and the state of Illinois.

NIU must continue to expand while dealing with current and future financial problems, Williams said.

“The president has put the challenge on the institution, but also on the state. We have to generate funding,” he said.

Williams said NIU faculty is doing well getting funding from research grants. However, more must be done.

“We can’t become stagnant if the state shrieks its obligation,” he said.

Williams said NIU markets itself primarily through the achievement of its students. “NIU students are at the top of the rankings in the CPA exams,” he said.

Williams said the achievement of faculty in research and the media also are primary marketing tools for NIU.

“Lots of things go on now to market NIU,” Moody said. “A university markets itself through quality of students and faculty. Students take their first job in this region that gives NIU a name.”

“We have to make people aware of the services we render,” La Tourette said.