Disney may have another animated flop

A+man+reaches+for+dozens+of+blue+orbs+above+him+in+a+scene+from+Wish.+The+Disney+film+celebrates+100+years+of+Disney+animation%2C+and+fans+are+already+noticing+problems+with+the+animation+and+plot.+%28Courtesy+of+YouTube%29+
A man reaches for dozens of blue orbs above him in a scene from “Wish.” The Disney film celebrates 100 years of Disney animation, and fans are already noticing problems with the animation and plot. (Courtesy of YouTube)

Disney’s new animated feature “Wish” has audiences wanting more from the major studio.

Disney has been criticized recently for its use of similar character types in their heroines. Referred to on the internet as “adorkable” protagonists, these heroines are clumsy, quirky and socially awkward, which can be seen in other characters like Anna, Moana and Mirabel. They also tend to have goofy sidekicks, especially animals.

Ever since the release of “Tangled,” Disney has not been able to let go of the adorkable archetype, and it seems like Asha (Ariana DeBose) is the next to receive this treatment. She exhibits the same traits as her predecessors and even has her own goat friend, Valentino, voiced by Alan Tudyk.

Revealing its teaser trailer back in April, Disney has been heavily marketing “Wish” in time for the company’s 100-year anniversary, calling the movie “a story a century in the making.” 

The film follows 17-year-old Asha, who senses a darkness in King Magnifico (Chris Pine), the ruler of Rosas, after she becomes his apprentice. To grant the wishes of the citizens of Rosas, Asha makes a wish with the help of a cosmic force named Star to take the wishes back from the King.

Fans are upset by how the film looks unfinished and dated. The animation is meant to recreate Disney’s 20th century, 2D, watercolor animation with the use of modern computer animation. 

The problem with Disney using this animation style is that other studios have already tried this and have done it better. Animated features released in recent years like “The Mitchells vs. The Machines” or “Spider-Man: Across the Spider-Verse” had similar goals in recreating a comic book style animation using CGI animation and were praised by critics for doing so. With more animated films moving toward this direction of animation, Disney has started to look like a cheap rip-off.

Even with everything bad going for the film, “Wish” is making an effort for diversity, as Asha is slated to be Disney’s first Afro-Latina heroine, just like her voice actress. 

Fans are excited about the film’s inclusivity because there is finally a heroine that looks like them. However, internet users are still cautious around this idea, as Disney has a tendency to make Black protagonists non-human for a majority of their films, like in “The Princess and the Frog” and “Soul.”   

I want to give this movie the benefit of the doubt, so I hope that “Wish” can live up to the classic Disney films the movie is trying to pay homage to.

The film, directed by Chris Buck and Fawn Veerasunthorn, will premiere in theaters Nov. 22.