Indigenous Foodways event hosted by Pick Museum

The NIU Pick Museum of Anthropology is located in Cole Hall. Assistant professor of anthropology Dana Bardolph will explain how archaeologists discover information and will point out the importance of honoring Indigenous experiences.  (Zulfiqar Ahmed | Northern Star)
Zulfiqar Ahmed
The NIU Pick Museum of Anthropology is located in Cole Hall. Assistant professor of anthropology Dana Bardolph will explain how archaeologists discover information and will point out the importance of honoring Indigenous experiences. (Zulfiqar Ahmed | Northern Star)

The Pick Museum has announced that it is having an Indigenous Foodways event from Noon to 1 p.m. on Nov. 14 in Cole Hall 114. 

Assistant professor of anthropology Dana Bardolph will be highlighting the ways archaeologists discover information from the past by studying ancient food residues, cooking methods, and plants and animal bones in order to unearth Indigenous cooking traditions. 

Bardolph will also underscore the importance of honoring Indigenous experiences and knowledge in her research, which includes sustainable food resources, cultural heritage and how Indigenous people help inform dialogue surrounding health. 

The Pick Museum will provide lunch through Huskie Harvest. 

The Indigenous Foodways event is part of a larger exhibit that the Pick Museum is currently hosting called Good Food. The Good Food exhibit takes a look at food issues that affect Northern Illinois by recognizing the work organizations and individuals contribute. 

The Good Food exhibit will be open until May 11. 

The Pick Museum is open from 10 a.m. to 4 p.m. from Tuesday-Saturday. Individuals interested in a tour can request one on the Pick Museum’s website.