Sadler driven by winning vision

By Wes Swietek

It isn’t as severe a case of split-personality as was suffered by Dr. Jekyll, but Huskies coach Charlie Sadler proves that first impressions can be deceiving.

Sadler’s usual gentle demeanor doesn’t always fit in with the image presented by his players.

“Coach Sadler works us 100 percent harder than (former coach Jerry) Pettibone,” linebacker Steve Henricksen said. “This is the toughest camp I’ve ever been in.”

What motivates Sadler to change from his usual soft-spoken nature into a taskmaster is his vision for the NIU football program.

The vision has the Huskies on a level approaching that of his former school, Oklahoma.

“I believe that with Northern not being in a conference, we should set a goal of getting in a bowl game. Whether this year or next, that should be our goal constantly,” Sadler said.

The 42-year-old coach’s vision for his program doesn’t stop there.

“We want to consistently play with and beat the Big Ten or Big Eight-caliber opponents we play against.

“The other thing I’d like to see is Northern become a school with great student support—a program that’s like other programs where you look out in the stands and the alumni are back and it’s packed with students.”

Those optimistic goals are one of the reasons Athletic Director Gerald O’Dell, who has professed similar hopes for the NIU program, decided Sadler was the right choice to lead NIU.

He’s a motivator. He’s a visionary. Charlie is someone who is willing to let the program grow and grow with it,” O’Dell said shortly after naming him as Oregon State-bound Jerry Pettibone’s successor.

“His resume reflects a wealth of experience at the top level of football. Charlie also brings an understanding of how it is at the top and how to get there,” O’Dell added.

Sadler’s road to NIU began in Carrolton, Tex. where he played linebacker and fullback in high school.

Sadler would later return to Carrolton to begin his career in coaching at R.L. Turner High School. Sadler first met up with Pettibone when he played freshman football at Oklahoma. Pettibone coached Sadler for only one year before Sadler transferred to Northeastern State in Oklahoma.

At Northeastern, Sadler lettered twice as an inside linebacker.

He earned a bachelor’s degree in science at NS and a master’s in education at the University of Arkansas. Sadler returned to Oklahoma in 1978 to begin his coaching career. After stints at Iowa State and Missouri, he returned to Oklahoma where he rose to the rank of defensive coordinator before being lured to NIU.

Along the way, Sadler has served as an assistant under prominent collegiate coaches such as Garry Gibbs, Donnie Duncan and Barry Switzer. The teams he’s been associated with have compiled a 103-43-3 record and a national title in 1985 when Oklahoma finished its season ranked No. 1 by the AP.

Now, firmly entrenched in DeKalb, Sadler admits that his preconceived notions about NIU weren’t totally on the mark. But the reality has been better than expected.

“I think there has been some good surprises—how much of a quality community this is, the potential this university posseses, there are some very positive things here. I’m very, very happy to be where I am.”

As for his program, Sadler voices what he sees as its strengths and its weaknesses.

“Northern has been a real pace-setter for other schools,” Sadler said of areas such as academic standards for athletes. “Academic standards can make or break an athletic program.”

As for the areas that he’d like to see changed, Sadler lists “money spent on the program and money committed to it. Our facilities aren’t where they should be. (But) if the coaches and players do a good job, we will put a successful team on the field.”