Softball signs 6 new recruits

NIU softball huddles up before the first game of a doubleheader against Central Michigan University on April 2. Head coach Christina Sutcliffe added six new recruits for the 2025 season. (Northern Star File Photo)
Northern Star File Photo

DeKALB – NIU softball head coach Christina Sutcliffe has announced the signing of six new women’s softball recruits for the 2025 season, NIU Athletics announced on Tuesday. 

Columbia High School senior Jaylyn Brister is poised to make her Huskie debut post-graduation. Brister is a two-time All-Conference and All-Area honoree who helped the Eagles reach a regional championship in 2023. 

Rock Valley College redshirt freshman Emma Krueger will transfer to NIU after completing her second season with the Golden Eagles. At Bay Port High School, Krueger made 74 appearances at the plate, owning a .378 batting average. Krueger earned All-Conference and All-Area honors and was a three-year letter winner. 

Ozaukee High School senior Natalie Miller will join Sutcliffe’s squad post-graduation. In two seasons, Miller made 81 plate appearances, compiling 18 hits, 43 putouts and owning a .222 batting average. 

Westlake High School senior Mia Morera will suit up for the Huskies next season. Morera is a three-year All-League Academic honoree and two-time Second Team All-League who was named to the 2024 PGF Futures Watchlist – a national travel softball team. Morera will be joining the Huskies next season. 

Oceanside High School senior Lia Nance will join Huskie Nation next season. Nance has seen action in 38 games while garnishing First and Second-Team All-Conference honors in three seasons. 

The sixth and final recruit is Rio Mesa High School senior Hailey Olivera. Olivera is a three-time All-Conference honoree who’s compiled 61 hits, 40 RBIs and holds a .252 batting average in 78 games with the school. 

“With the signing of this class, we continue to build upon our solid foundation,” Sutcliffe said via an NIU Athletics press release. “We are excited to bring these 6 into our culture and watch them grow and develop on and off the field. We expect them to elevate our program immediately by filling in the holes that will be left from the graduation of our current talented senior class. This class is a testament to dedication, passion, and undeniable talent.”