Classics, new release to watch this weekend

The+Netflix+home+page+shows+a+list+of+trending+shows+on+a+laptop+screen.+
Northern Star File Photo
The Netflix home page shows a list of trending shows on a laptop screen.

Thanksgiving break is next week, so try out this weekend watchlist of dramas and J.K. Simmons projects.

“Whiplash” (Netflix)

The psychological music drama was recently added to Netflix and leaves audiences at the edge of their seats. Directed by Damien Chazelle, “Whiplash” stars Miles Teller and J.K. Simmons and was based off a short film by Chazelle. The film follows an aspiring jazz drummer who is pushed to his limits to achieve perfection by his abusive music teacher.

“Invincible” (Amazon Prime)

Season 2 of “Invincible” dropped Nov. 2 after a two-and-a-half-year break between the first season. The show stars Steven Yeun as 17-year-old Mark Grayson who is the son of the most powerful superhero on the planet. He starts to develop powers of his own and finds out that his father isn’t the man he thinks he is. The series also features the voices of J.K Simmons and Sandra Oh.

“The Wolf of Wall Street” (Netflix)

Based on the real-life story of stockbroker Jordan Belfort, “The Wolf of Wall Street” stars Leonardo DiCaprio as Belfort during his career on Wall Street from his beginnings as a penny stock trader to owning his own firm, Stratton Oakmont. The film is directed by Martin Scorcese and also stars Jonah Hill and Margot Robbie. 

“The Devil Wears Prada” (Max)

“The Devil Wears Prada” stars Anne Hathaway as Andy Sachs, a college graduate who moves to New York City to become a journalist and lands a job with a powerful fashion magazine editor, Miranda Priestly (Meryl Streep). Andy doesn’t fit in with the elegant look of the magazine and must conform to the demands of her boss. The film also stars Emily Blunt and Stanley Tucci.