‘Spider-Man 2’ shoo-in for Game of the Year

Trish Tunney
The game developers of God of War stand together with fists raised on Dec. 6, 2018. The 2023 Game Awards will take place on Dec. 7. (Wikimedia Commons)

This year has seen the release of several popular and long-awaited games, such as Marvel’s Spider-Man 2 and The Legend of Zelda: Tears of the Kingdom. Now, the time has come for gamers of the world to decide what game deserves the title of “Game of the Year” in the 2023 Game Awards. 

The Game Awards is an event held every year that celebrates and gives awards to video games, their developers, players and other events related to video games. 

There are 31 different award categories for different aspects of games, such as “Best Music,” “Best Action/Adventure Game,” “Best Family Game” and “Best Fighting Game,” among others. 

The Game Awards also have other award categories that aren’t related to actual video games themselves. There are awards for content creators, esports events, esports players and teams, and esports coaches. 

There is some fierce competition for the title of “Game of the Year” because of extremely popular games such as Marvel’s “Spider-Man 2,””Alan Wake 2,””Baldur’s Gate 3,””Resident Evil 4,””Super Mario Bros. Wonder” and “The Legend of Zelda: Tears of the Kingdom” are all in the running.

However, the title may have already been claimed by Marvel’s “Spider-Man 2.” Since its release on Oct. 20, the game has received astounding support from its players, selling over five million units after 11 days of its release, according to an article by Gameinformer

There have also been whispers of it being game of the year thanks to its outstanding combat system and mechanics, brilliant story and captivating voice acting. 

Other popular games that will be in the Game Awards are “Star Wars Jedi: Survivor,” “Sonic Superstars,” “Party Animals,” “Final Fantasy XVI,” “Hi-Fi Rush,” “Dead Space,” “Lies of P” and “Starfield.” 

The voting period for the top five choices of each category begins at 9 a.m. Dec. 4 and will close at 6 p.m Dec. 7. You can place your votes by heading to The Game Awards website and setting up an account. 

The results of the event will be streamed at 7:30 p.m. on Dec. 7. The event will be livestreamed on YouTube, Twitch, X (formally known as Twitter), Facebook, TikTok, and Instagram.