Amos nets Huskie of the Week behind dazzling scoring display

Eddie Miller
A graphic shows sophomore forward Xavier Amos as the Huskie of the Week. Amos scored a career-high 26 points on Monday against Northwestern University. (Eddie Miller | Northern Star)

DeKALB – A career-high scoring performance against a Big Ten opponent helped NIU men’s basketball sophomore forward Xavier Amos secure his first career Huskie of the Week honor.

Amos scored 26 points and pulled down 7 rebounds in an 89-67 loss to Northwestern University. Amos single- handedly kept the Huskies afloat in the first half of the losing effort, as he scored 19 points on 8-for-9 shooting and 3-for-3 from three-point range.

Amos finished the night shooting 11-for-15 from the field.

Despite the 22-point loss, NIU kept the game competitive in the opening frame. The Huskies led 42-41 at the end of the first half before the Wildcats and graduate student guard Boo Buie took over in the second half.

Amos now averages 12.7 points per game and 5.4 rebounds per game on 57% shooting. Amos also leads the Huskies in three-point shooting percentage with a 54% clip on 24 attempted three-point shots.

The Huskies will face Indiana State University next at 7 p.m. Tuesday at the Convocation Center.

Next week’s Huskie of the Week will be announced on Dec. 11.

The Northern Star sports section’s Huskie of the Week is voted for on a weekly basis. Student-athletes considered for this week’s edition were chosen based on their weekly performance in competitions taking place from Nov. 27 to Dec 3.