Football to compete in Camellia Bowl

Tim Dodge
Redshirt senior Tyler Jackson (0) holds the NIU flag as he leads the team onto the Huskie Stadium field on Oct. 21. The Huskies will take on Arkansas State in the Camellia Bowl on Dec. 23. (Tim Dodge | Northern Star)

DeKALB – NIU football (6-6, 5-3 MAC) will take on the Arkansas State University Red Wolves (6-6, 4-4 Sun Belt Conference) on Dec. 23 in Montgomery, Alabama, in the 10th annual Camellia Bowl. 

“We are certainly excited about the opportunity to play in the Camellia Bowl against a quality Sun Belt opponent in Arkansas State,” said NIU football head coach Thomas Hammock in a press release via NIU Athletics. “We’re looking forward to a very competitive football game and extended time with this team. Every bowl experience is unique and different; it’s a great reward for the way you played throughout the season and an excellent way to send your seniors out the right way. We have the opportunity to finish the season with a championship.”

The Camellia Bowl will be the Huskies’ 20th bowl game in school history and their 14th bowl game appearance since 2004. 

“We are excited to continue NIU Football’s bowl tradition with this appearance in the Camellia Bowl,” said NIU director of athletics Sean Frazier in the release. “Our team is looking forward to another chance to be on the field together and to take advantage of the bowl experience in Montgomery.”

The Camellia Bowl is the Huskies’ first bowl game appearance since losing 47-41 to Coastal Carolina University in the 2021 Cure Bowl. 

The last time the Huskies faced the Red Wolves was also the Huskies’ most recent bowl game victory, a 38-20 win over Arkansas State in the 2012 GoDaddy.Com Bowl. 

NIU will square off against Arkansas State at 11 a.m. Dec. 23 in Montgomery, Alabama. The game will be televised on ESPN and audio will be available via The Varsity Network.