Football finishes 2023 season as Camellia Bowl champions

Todd Thompson
Sophomore defensive end Roy Williams holds a cooler high after dumping Gatorade on NIU football head coach Thomas Hammock. The Huskies defeated Arkansas State University 21-19 in the Camellia Bowl on Saturday. (Todd Thompson | Courtesy of NIU Athletics)

An explosive first half from NIU football (7-6, 5-3 MAC) helped the Huskies gut out a 21-19 victory over the Arkansas State University Red Wolves (6-7, 4-4 Sun Belt Conference) in the 2023 Camellia Bowl.

A high-powered offensive attack in the first half and a shutdown defensive performance in the second half helped the Huskies snap a streak of seven consecutive bowl game losses. Saturday’s Camellia Bowl was the Huskies’ first bowl game victory since the 2012 GoDaddy.Com Bowl over Arkansas State. 

“We’re certainly excited about the win, it was our first (bowl game) win since 2011,” said NIU football head coach Thomas Hammock. “For these guys to walk off as champions, it’s everything for the seniors and it’s everything for the guys coming back.”

The Huskies dominated the time of possession battle, holding the ball for over 40 minutes, while the Red Wolves possessed the ball for less than 20 minutes. NIU converted 9 of its 18 3rd and 4th down attempts, extending drives and burning time off the clock. 

Redshirt senior quarterback Rocky Lombardi was named the Bart Starr MVP of the Camellia Bowl. Lombardi finished with 200 passing yards, 1 passing touchdown and 1 rushing touchdown. 

“It means a lot to go out as a winner,” Lombardi said. “We’ve done a lot more winning than losing here – didn’t quite have the season we wanted, but we made it to a bowl game. We’re proud to be here, and we’re proud to be bowl champs.”

Junior running back Antario Brown led the Huskie backfield with 25 carries for 132 rushing yards.

FRANTIC FIRST HALF

In a first half that featured a fake field goal, an onside kick attempt and turnovers from both teams, the Huskies went into the locker room with a 21-13 lead. 

NIU made a statement on its first drive, converting three third downs and going 75 yards on 11 plays to take a 6-0 lead. Lombardi connected with junior wide receiver Grayson Barnes for an 18-yard touchdown for the first points of the game.

“Those plays (third down conversions) were all the quarterback,” Hammock said. “He made plays and delivered the ball in the spots that guys needed to make them.”

After a one-play touchdown drive from Arkansas State to take a 7-6 lead, the Huskies answered back immediately with two touchdown drives – one on a fake field goal by redshirt sophomore kicker Kanon Woodill – to regain a 21-7 advantage. 

“It (Woodill’s touchdown) was more than I expected if I’m being honest,” said junior cornerback Javaughn Byrd. “I saw Kanon hit the hole and then I’m looking at the jumbotron and I see him keep running, so I got excited on the sideline. That was probably the most exciting play I’ve ever seen in my three years here.”

SECOND HALF STALEMATE

After a back-and-forth first half, the second half was the complete opposite, as the two teams combined for just 6 points in the final 30 minutes. 

“Credit to the defense, they did a good job helping us (the offense) out in the second half, keeping us out of trouble and obviously holding them under 21 points,” Lombardi said.

Byrd, who accounted for the Huskies’ lone takeaway, said the Huskies’ defensive performance in the second half was a reflection of the work they’ve put in all season.

“We take pride in going out there and playing together,” Byrd said. “We harp on that in practice all the time, our slogan is one motion. We go out there and communicate, make sure we’re all on the same page, and then our goal is just to dominate between the whistles every play. That second half was a reflection of all that put into one.”

From the start of the second half until the final two minutes of the game, no points were scored. The Red Wolves broke through when redshirt sophomore wide receiver Corey Rucker scored his second touchdown of the game with 1:14 left to cut the NIU lead to 21-19. 

With an opportunity to tie the game with a successful two point conversion, the Huskies stopped Arkansas State’s attempt, holding on for a 21-19 victory. 

LOOKING FORWARD

Hammock said winning the Camellia Bowl is significant for the future of NIU football. 

“Great momentum,” Hammock said. “We’ll add some pieces to get better, but I love the nucleus of our football team coming back.”

Lombardi, who finished his seventh and final season in college football with a bowl win, expressed his gratitude for NIU football. 

“I try to reflect constantly throughout my career, at least I have the last couple years,” Lombardi said. “It’s definitely been a long one, I’m proud to be a Huskie and I’m happy that I’m here, but I’m ready to move on, it’s my time to be done and to move on.” 

Byrd said the Huskies will earn their respect no matter where they go or who they play. 

“As a team, we’re going to come in here and we’re going to earn our respect wherever we go,” Byrd said. “We’re not expected to be handed these things – we’re not expected to be put on these high pedestals.”