‘Baldur’s Gate 3’ destroys competition at Game Awards

The logo for the Game Awards is next to a statue on the award show’s poster. The Game Awards took place Thursday and featured many surprise wins. (Courtesy of the Game Awards)

“Baldur’s Gate 3” and “The Legend of Zelda: Tears of the Kingdom” steamrolled the competition at the 10th annual Game Awards on Thursday.

“Baldur’s Gate 3,” a game developed by Larian Studios and released on Aug. 3, won awards in five different categories, “Best Community Support,” ”Best RPG Style Game,” “Best Multiplayer Game,” “Players’ Voice” and “Game of the Year.”

In the “Game of the Year” category, “Baldur’s Gate 3” beat out fan favorites like “Marvel’s Spider-Man 2” and “The Legend of Zelda: Tears of the Kingdom.”

Neil Newbon, the voice of Astarion from the game, was selected for the “Best Performance” award.

“Legend of Zelda: Tears of the Kingdom” was awarded for being the best “Action/Adventure” style game. The Legend of Zelda series has long been known and loved by the fanbase for its near-perfect delivery of adventure and combat, so the selection is unsurprising yet deserved.

The next big winner from the ceremony was “Alan Wake 2,” which received awards for “Best Narrative,” “Best Art Direction” and “Best Direction.”

“Final Fantasy XIV” was one of the candidates celebrated and was awarded for “Best Music.” Many of the games from the Final Fantasy franchise are infamous for their epic and emotional music, which has captivated many of their current players.

Other games that were nominated were “Super Mario Bros. Wonder” for “Best Family Game,” “Final Fantasy Rebirth” as the “Most Anticipated Game,” “Street Fighter 6” as the “Best Fighting Game” and “Cyberpunk 2077” as the “Best Ongoing Game.”

The Esports winners were “Faker” for “Best Esports Athlete,” “Potter” for “Best Esports Coach,” “2023 League of Legends World Championship” for “Best Esports Event,” “Valorant” for “Best Esports Game,” and “JD Gaming” for “Best Esports Team.” “Ironmouse” was named “Best Content Creator.”

Throughout the event, trailers were also revealed for upcoming games and content coming this winter and in 2024, some being more surprising than others.

One of the trailers showcased the new DLC for “God of War Ragnarok” and is being released for players on Tuesday. The DLC package will be titled “God of War Ragnarok: Valhalla.”

Another long-awaited trailer was casually revealed for Dragon Ball fans which contained gameplay of “Dragon Ball Sparking Zero,” Bandai Namco’s new game which is heavily based on the previous title “Dragon Ball Tenkaichi Budokai 3.”

SEGA also revealed they had not one, but five new games in development which will be about some of their older and long-forgotten titles such as “Jet Set Radio” and “Streets of Rage.”

While some titles may not have been nominated as many players hoped, each player received some good news to take away from the event, whether that be their favorite games receiving the recognition they deserve or new games and content on the horizon.