Classes axed by state budget cuts

By Audrey Weick

Once again, the state budget cuts might force some students to postpone their graduation plans.

Because of a lack of faculty and an overload of students in the business department, 65 Spanish-Business translation majors were closed out of marketing classes needed for graduation, mainly Marketing 367.

“Obviously, we are trying to remedy this situation, but it may take some time,” Judith Keeley, marketing advisor said. “We are hoping to hire more instructors soon, but we hire only tenure-tracked and doctoral faculty. We obviously just can’t put an ad out in the Chicago Tribune.”

Foreign language department chairman Frederic Murray said students should take different classes in the department to fill their graduation requirements. “Obviously, our main service is to keep our students moving towards graduation,” he said.

Senior Maria Dominguez said she questioned the department’s substitutes. “Most of the classes that they are offering have nothing to do with business. What help is Spanish history going to be in the business world?” she said.

Senior Kim Schumacher said she was upset with the way the department was handling the situation. “Instead of taking a marketing class, I’m taking Art 385. Basically, I thought that I’d be graduating with a degree in four years, and now I’m not so sure,” she said, adding she was told to not even try to get her marketing classes next semester.

“We want to solve this problem as quickly as possible, but unfortunately the state of Illinois is just not funding us,” Keeley said.