Hawkeyes down men’s basketball in blowout fashion

Nyla Owens
The NIU men’s basketball team huddles for a pregame talk about their match against Indiana State Dec. 5. The Huskies were defeated by the University of Iowa 103-74 Friday. (Nyla Owens | Northern Star)

The Achilles’ heel of the 2023-2024 NIU men’s basketball squad: the final 20-minutes of a game.

Another second half collapse by the Huskies proved to be the deciding factor in a 103-74 trouncing at the hands of the University of Iowa Hawkeyes.

The Big Ten foe saw six players finish with double-digit scoring performances, including a 20-point night from graduate student forward Ben Krikke. Krikke finished an efficient shooting night with 9 made field goals on 12 shot attempts.

Junior guards David Coit and Zarique Nutter combined for 39 points on 13-for-22 shooting to lead NIU in the loss. Coit shot 6-for-7 from three point range.

KEEPING IT CLOSE

The Huskies kept pace with the Hawkeyes in the first half, trailing 54-48 to end the opening frame. 

NIU overcame a 12-point deficit in the first half to cut the Hawkeye lead to just one with 4:14 remaining. Coit scored 8 straight points in the span of two minutes to lead the Huskie run.

The Huskies shot a blistering 66.7% from the field in the first 20- minutes of the game, including 8-for-11 from downtown.

SECOND HALF WOES

NIU’s disastrous second half on both ends of the floor opened the door for a Hawkeye onslaught. The Huskies shot 29% from the field to close the game and allowed Iowa to shoot 47.4%.

Iowa began the second half with an 11-3 run, a run that was built on as the game progressed. NIU was outscored 49-26 in the closing frame.

The brother tandem of freshman forward Pryce Sandfort and junior forward Payton Sandfort combined for 28 points and 5 three-pointers in the winning effort.

UP NEXT: MACTION

The Huskies end their non-conference slate with an even 6-6 record. After winning five of its first six games, NIU has done the complete opposite, losing five of its past six.

The Huskies will have their first taste of MAC play when they face the University of Akron at 7 p.m. Tuesday at the Convocation Center. NIU is set to face former Huskie guard and All-MAC Honorable Mention honoree senior Kaleb Thornton in the contest.

The game will be streamed on ESPN+ and radio broadcast will be available via The Varsity Network. Live stats can be accessed via SIDEARM Stats.