Hockey drowns Lakers in overtime thriller

Sturm debuts with two tallies, Evans nets OT winner
Courtesy NIU Hockey
Graduate student forward Rodahn Evans celebrates scoring the game-winning goal in NIU Hockey’s 5-4 overtime win over Roosevelt University Friday. Evans’ goal helped the Huskies to their second win of the season. (Courtesy of NIU Hockey)

BENSENVILLE – A combination of new and familiar faces helped NIU Hockey (2-20-2, 0-12 MCH) earn its second win of the season – a thrilling come-from-behind 5-4 overtime victory over Roosevelt University (8-10) Friday night. 

A familiar face in graduate student forward Rodahn Evans was the hero in overtime, rifling a shot in the net on a two-on-one rush early in the extra frame.

“I just stared at (freshman forward) Walker (Smith) the entire time and everybody thought I was going to pass,” Evans said. “I picked my head up right at the last second while I’m mid shot and I’m like ‘Why’s the goalie on the other side of the net?’ I shot it straight in the middle. I think it was the easiest goal I’ve scored in my life.”

The win was also head coach Mychal Bangs’ first win as the Huskies’ bench boss. 

“It (first win as head coach) feels great,” Bangs said. “Proud of the boys for the improvement we’ve made and really looking forward to what we’re going to do.”

STURM HAS ARRIVED

On Thursday, the Huskies announced the addition of sophomore forward Lucas Sturm – a transfer from Indiana Tech – for the spring semester.

Sturm made his presence known immediately, scoring two goals in his first game with the Huskies Friday – the first coming just 2:04 into the first period. 

Sturm said his goals were the result of a full team effort.

“I’m just trying to chip in where I can, and everybody’s doing that,” Sturm said. “It takes a unit. It’s not just scoring, it’s everybody chipping in and playing the hardest. So, I’m happy to be here and we got to keep it going.” 

Bangs said he was extremely impressed with Sturm’s combination of speed and skill. 

“I thought he played unbelievable,” Bangs said. “He brings a whole different dynamic to our team with his speed, with his puck-handling ability. With that, he made a huge impact on the game. So, we’re really excited about him and really looking forward to having him here.” 

Evans, who currently leads the Huskies with 23 points, was ecstatic to see the team’s new weapon fit right away on his line with freshman forward Micah Maldonado.

“It is so good to have a full line of just fast guys – we are fast,” Evans said. “We had, what? Four out of the five (goals)? First game – only goes up from here.” 

EXERCISING MIDDLE-PERIOD DEMONS

After taking a 2-1 lead into the first intermission, the Huskies again started slow in the second period, finding themselves down 3-2 just over 8:30 into the period. 

Roosevelt’s third goal prompted a timeout from Bangs in an effort to stop the second-period bleeding.

“We talked about how we’re not going to let up in the second periods anymore,” Bangs said. “We’re going to start playing team hockey, we’re going to get aggressive, we’re going to attack and we’re going to change the narrative.”

Bangs’ timeout worked, as Sturm netted his second tally of the night just under four minutes later. 

“It was a fantastic timeout by coach Bangs,” Evans said. “That’s our number one problem, the second. After that penalty, he (Bangs) put us out there to change things, and we changed things.”

ROOSEVELT REMATCH

The Huskies close out its two-game series with the Lakers at 7:30 p.m. Saturday at the Edge Ice Arena in Bensenville. 

Sturm said to complete the sweep, the team has to keep its focus internally. 

“We’re not too worried about what they’re doing – how they’re acting,” Sturm said. “We’re going to have teams act different ways. We can’t control that. But what we can control is our attitude, our effort and executing where we can.”