Declaring independence could be harder in future

By Rebecca Keener

Students often try to beat the financial aid system by declaring independence to show a low income, an NIU official said.

A student can benefit by declaring independence because a low income, which most students have, will make it easier to get financial aid.

However, Jerry Augsburger, director of Student Financial Aid, said there are too many loopholes in federal guidelines for students declaring independence.

Augsburger said parents can still pay for school even if a student is declared independent. The checks go to the Bursar’s Office, so the financial aid department has no way of finding out how tuition is being paid, he added.

Federal guidelines state if a person is 24 years of age, married, has a dependent other than a spouse, is a ward of the court, both parents are deceased, or is in active military service, then the student is automatically independent.

Also, if a student has an average income of $4,000 or more per year and has not been claimed for two years, the student also can declare independence.

In order to clear up some of the loopholes and make it harder for students to declare independence, the government is re-evaluating the financial aid form.

“Indications from Congress show it will be more difficult for students to declare independence than it is today,” said Tom Wenman, Illinois Student Assistance Commission Washington lobbyist.

“Everybody contributes their ideas on what needs to be done and then we talk about them,” said Bob Clement of ISAC.