America needs a multi-party system

Anna Scanlan
The Springfield Capitol Building stands under a partly cloudy sky. A multi-party system could improve representation of the American public. (Anna Scanlan | Northern Star)

America’s two-party system is flawed and needs to change. The current system offers mediocre candidates who don’t represent America. A multi-party system is the necessary fix for underrepresentation and polarization.

In the U.S., the two-party system is becoming less popular as Americans grow tired of it. In fact, in 2023, 37% of Americans wished there was a multi-party system, according to the Pew Research Center.

The U.S. deserves a selection of leaders that represent their ideals instead of having to choose between two candidates who don’t properly represent them. A multi-party system could help all Americans feel represented in every aspect of government from Congress to local office, bringing the political diversity and representation we need.

Nader Alghoul, an NIU political science graduate teaching assistant, believes a multi-party system could better represent the American people. 

“So that coalition would be the, open the door for more compromises, for more bills and values and programs that represent most of the American, so they have to compromise to reach for a deal,” Alghoul said.

While the most impactful advantage of a multi-party system is increased representation for the American public, another benefit is less polarization. Introducing more parties can reduce the hostility between parties, leading to increased partisanship.

Polarization between Republicans and Democrats has grown larger over the past 50 years, with Democrats becoming more progressive and and Republicans more conservative, according to the Pew Research Center. To move away from polarization and encourage more bipartisanship, a multi-party system is a must. 

“Because to us, with only 217 votes in the House and a 50-51 vote in the Senate, so you can pass it if you will control both Congress (chambers),” Alghoul said. “But, when you have three parties, that will be divided. Maybe one party, you will need two parties to be on the program. So, that makes the compromise, and (is) more representing of the American people.”

Other parties, like the Green party, Libertarian party or Socialist party, may have the ability to make changes in government that we need. The other parties have the ability to introduce new ideas, decreasing the divide between people in the political spectrum.

A multi-party system is the solution that America needs to the problems that a two-party system created. The benefits of a multi-party system is having each American feel represented and can reduce the polarization and fighting between parties. 

A two-party system doesn’t do the American public justice anymore; it’s time for a multi-party system.