Burger Naan offers warm environment, traditional Indian food

Sofia Didenko
The outside of Burger Naan depicts a light-up open sign visible through the restaurant’s windows. Burger Naan is a family owned Indian restaurant located in downtown DeKalb. (Sofia Didenko | Northern Star)

Located adjacent to DeKalb’s infamous Egyptian Theatre, an Indian fusion restaurant, Burger Naan, puts a tantalizing twist on classic Indian food with its innovative dishes.  

Highlight menu items include butter chicken macaroni and cheese, tandoori chicken sandwiches, butter chicken burritos and, of course, the Burger Naan. Customers can expect traditional aromatic flavors of Indian cuisine with a street food vibe. 

Owner Nasar Syed, a seasoned chef with 36 years of experience from Canada, spoke about the poutine dish on his menu – a savory street food with gravy-covered fries.  

Syed explained the inspiration behind Burger Naan, rooted in family cooking. 

“When my kids were growing up they used to always have, you know, lots of friends coming to my house and they used to love our butter chicken and my kids used to love their mac and cheese,” Syed said. “They taught me to make a new fusion style.” 

Syed’s culinary journey translates to the warm and friendly environment felt within Burger Naan as well as the support of the community. 

“That’s how I started to be loved by everyone, I infused American and Indian together,” Syed said. 

When in the mood for traditional Indian, Burger Naan offers Indian classics such as paneer tikka masala, butter chicken, lamb biryani as well as others, with a side choice of regular naan, garlic naan, butter naan or basmati rice. 

Entrees including traditional and fusion average at about $12.50 at Burger Naan – offering tasteful food for an affordable cost. 

To accompany meals Burger Naan serves beverages such as mango lassi, a uniquely refreshing and creamy Indian yogurt drink – and a variety of bubble drinks in an array of different flavors. 

Conveniently open until 10 p.m. every night, Burger Naan opens new flavors and a warm ambiance to the NIU and DeKalb community.