Co-op program offered to NIU students

By Sheryl Cajka

NIU students interested in getting a taste of real work experience, as well as classroom learning, can turn to the Cooperative Education and Internship Program.

The co-op is two or more alternating or parallel periods of class study, plus on-the-job experience, Business Coordinator Casey Bozek said.

To participate in the co-op program, the student must be enrolled with at least six hours and have a minimum grade point average of 2.0, said Bozek.

The internship program, similar to co-op, is for one semester and can be done part-time.

The first step for either program is to attend a scheduled orientation with a coordinator and get a co-op application, Bozek said.

The student should bring the filled-out application and fifteen copies of a resume to the Cooperative Education and Internship office.

Then the student should set up an appointment with a coordinator in his or her major at the co-op office, Bozek said. The coordinator will help the student find jobs in their field.

The student then must look at the job description sheets on the walls of the co-op office, Bozek said. Each student can pick four job opportunities each week.

Students seeking hands-on experience, job possibilities, a salary and college credit should look into the Cooperative Education and Internship Program, Bozek said. Each student must meet departmental requirements, he said.

Bozek said he advises all students to come in and get help. “Do it now,” he said. “It’s a highly competitive world so get an early start.”

Co-op received a boost from the legislature when an additional $1 million in funds was allocated to co-op programs in Illinois.

The money will be handled by the Illinois Board of Higher Education. The IBHE will use certain criteria for determining which programs will receive grants.

“This experience will give (students) one step up on the competition once they’re looking for a job,” said State Rep. Brad Burzynski (R-Sycamore).