Stevenson Residents enjoy valentines activities at Stevochella

Kayla Martin
Angela Kaminski, Chase’s handler and clinical social worker for Counseling and Consultation Services, (left) and Madelaine Romito, a graduate research assistant in the Counseling and Consultation services, sit with two dogs, Chase, a golden retriever, and Marci, a cavalier king Charles spaniel. During Stevochella on Thursday, CCS brought therapy dogs for students to pet. (Northern Star | Kayla Martin)

DeKALB –  Blasting music kicked off Stevochella Thursday on the main floor of Stevenson Towers followed by a flurry of cotton candy, tile smashing and dog petting. 

Stevochella is a two hour long event planned by the CA’s of Stevenson Towers and Housing and Residential Services. 

The event consisted of tables and rooms with activities such as karaoke, minigolf, make your own valentines day card, painting hearts and more. 

“We have been planning Stevochella since last semester, so it wasn’t a lot of tasks to do but setting up was kind of hard with moving the tables and such,” said Boluwatife Efunkoya, CA and sophomore Biomedical Engineering major. “But overall it was nice, and the Stevochella this time was really nice because there was a lot more options than the last Stevochella we had.”

Students passed through Stevochella for the entire two hours of the event, and there were constantly new things to try like writing out on a small tile what has been bothering students lately and using a hammer to break it into tiny pieces. 

“It was pretty fun,” said Kate Kabbe, sophomore Earth and Science education licensure. “It was a nice destressor, and I also like how I was able to smash the tiles. That was my favorite.”

Stevenson towers also partnered up with Counseling and Consultation services to bring a “Pause 4 Paws” room where three therapy dogs, Cicha a pitbull, Marci a cavalier king charles spaniel, and Chase a golden retriever. 

“Any campus events are normally coordinated through student wellness involving therapy dogs,” said Madelaine Romito, a graduate research assistant in the Counseling and Consultation services. 

The towers also had a special dining meal that consisted of spaghetti and meatballs, garlic bread, pink vanilla cotton candy, cookies that you could decorate yourself, chocolate covered strawberries and a drink that tasted like a mixture of Kool-Aid and Sprite. For these items students could use meal swipes. In the first hour of Stevochella the 300 chocolate covered strawberries made were all taken and eaten by students. 

“I hope that Stevenson Towers keeps planning events like this. I remember last year there was the Stevenson Carnival, and I am glad they brought the event back in a new way,” CA Boluwatife said.