Department of Education releases voter participation toolkit

Sean Reed
NIU student Liam Kantzler inserts his ballot into the tabulation machine on Nov. 7, 2022 after going through the voting process on Election Day at the Barsema Alumni & Visitors Center on campus. The U.S. Department of Education released a “Toolkit for the Promotion of Voter Participation for Students” on Monday. (Sean Reed | Northern Star)

The U.S. Department of Education released a “Toolkit for the Promotion of Voter Participation for Students”  Monday providing resources to educational institutions in regard to voting. The toolkit is used to help the institutions implement ways to assist eligible students with registering to vote and voting.

“Voting is fundamental to our democracy, and our schools and colleges play an important role in helping our students become active participants in our democratic society,” said U.S. Secretary of Education Miguel Cardona in the Department of Education’s press release. “Facilitating the voting process for all students during their postsecondary educational experience, our education system helps students engage in the electoral process.” 

The toolkit provides universities with explanations of the current legal requirements for voting, non-partisan steps schools can take to increase their voter participation and other federal resources used to support voters across all student bodies and surrounding communities.

President Joe Biden issued an executive order in March 2021, “Promoting Access to Voting” which recommended federal agencies to find ways to expand opportunities for all Americans to participate in the voting process. 

Since the order was passed, steps to expand access for students have been implemented, including a link to vote.gov on the Federal Student Aid homepage.

The toolkit can be accessed via the Department of Education.