Center for Black Studies host Bowling Night

Students+line+up+waiting+for+their+turn+to+bowl.+On+Wednesday%2C+the+Center+for+Black+Studies+hosted+a+Bowling+Night+for+people+to+celebrate+Black+History+Month+and+hang+out.+%28Kayla+Martin+%7C+Northern+Star%29+
Kayla Martin
Students line up waiting for their turn to bowl. On Wednesday, the Center for Black Studies hosted a Bowling Night for people to celebrate Black History Month and hang out. (Kayla Martin | Northern Star)

DeKALB – Thirty students crowded the Huskie Den, laughing and smiling, while celebrating black history month with the Center for Black Studies. 

The second annual bowling night hosted by the Center for Black Studies was held from 7 p.m. to 10 p.m. Wednesday in the NIU Huskie Den.

The night of free bowling consisted of students and CBS staff eating pizza, provided by CBS, and listening to hip-hop music by artists such as Drake, Beyoncé and DaBaby. 

Students at the event also had the option to play pool for free, which not many took advantage of. 

“It was just something the staff thought of, how we could have a party to bring it in,” said Derrick Smith, academic counselor, community outreach coordinator and instructor for CBS. “So we thought maybe we could have something fun for the student to relax and take it out. We decided let’s do bowling and pizza then and see what happens.”

All students were welcomed at the event and were required to wear a green wristband. The CBS had lanes one through six reserved at the Huskie Den, but more students showed up than expected as the event was not thoroughly advertised. 

“This event is one of the best events we’ve had so far,” said Makayla Sanford, a sophomore biochemistry major and student worker for CBS. “The student turnout is better than what it used to be.” 

There was cheese, pepperoni and veggie pizza available along with water and Huskie punch, the Huskie Den’s own fruit punch blend. 

“I thought the night was fun overall,” said Olivia Raddatz, a sophomore molecular biology major. “The music was a little loud, but, otherwise, I liked bowling.”

Students started to trickle out after bowling ended at 9 p.m.

The last hour was spent with some students mingling and enjoying the free food with some music in the background.