Street Interviews: Voting in elections

Courtney Pincuspy, a first-year biology major, responds to a street interview prompt. What do students look for in a political candidate, and do students feel their votes matter? (Northern Star Graphic)

The March 19 Illinois primary is quickly approaching, and voting is imperative to ensure your voice is heard and your values are represented. Knowing which issues you value makes you a more informed voter, which is integral in our misinformed society.

Heading into the 2024 election, many are concerned with immigration policy and protecting democracy, according to NPR. While these are hot-button issues, voters should also be concerned with fiscal policy, welfare, among other governmental aspects.

Various arguments exist over whether voting should be mandatory and whether your vote actually matters. As America is a democracy, the voting and representation of citizens is paramount for success.

Luckily, there is still time to register for the March elections and presidential primary

Ballotpedia, additionally, can provide general information about candidates, polling places and elections in general. 

Part of being an American is being a voter, and knowing your vote matters is important, especially when you can use your vote to promote candidates you agree with and understand.

But, let’s hear from NIU students: Do you think your vote matters? And, what do you value in a candidate?