Repairs force temporary relocation of GSRC

The+Arndt+House%2C+where+the+Gender+and+Sexuality+Resource+Center+is+located%2C+sits+at+the+edge+of+campus.+The+GSRC+has+temporarily+moved+from+the+Arndt+House+to+the+third+floor+of+Wirtz+Hall.+%28Sam+Dion+%7C+Northern+Star%29+
Sam Dion
The Arndt House, where the Gender and Sexuality Resource Center is located, sits at the edge of campus. The GSRC has temporarily moved from the Arndt House to the third floor of Wirtz Hall. (Sam Dion | Northern Star)

DeKALB – The Gender and Sexuality Resource Center has temporarily moved from Arndt House to the third floor of the Health Services Building at 385 Wirtz Drive.  

The initial reason for the move was to address leaks in Arndt House’s roof, but Associate Vice President of Facilities Management and Campus Services John Heckmann feels the move is a good time to inspect the 84-year-old house, which NIU acquired in 1987. 

“It will give us some time to fully evaluate what all we have going on there while knowing they’re (GSRC) situated,” Heckmann said. “This way, we can evaluate all our options and we’re not in an urgent rush to patch something together too quickly.”  

For now, Heckmann does not have a timeframe for when the work will start.  

“We always like to do things faster than what might be feasible, and feasible comes in a variety of ways,” Heckmann said. “Money comes into play and the capacity to orchestrate different things and bring in contractors or consultants if we don’t have enough expertise in-house.”  

According to Heckmann, funding for repairs varies depending on the building’s classification – general or auxiliary revenue. The campus is divided into two major areas, with Arndt House falling under general revenue. 

“General revenue includes money from traditional sources like state funding, student tuition and fees,” Heckmann said. “Auxiliary revenue buildings, like student housing, are expected to be partially self-funded by the revenue they generate.”   

Molly Holmes, director of the GSRC, said the move will not interrupt any scheduled events. 

“The GSRC is a mindset and a philosophy and a part of our institutional value of diversity, equity and inclusion,” Holmes said. “The show goes on, and we do the best with what we have, but our commitment to the mission continues no matter what.”