Huskies drop first two games of Montana Softball Classic

Wyatt Richardson
Junior middle infielder/outfielder Jenna Turner walks back to the dugout March 3 against Western Kentucky University. Turner had 2 RBIs Friday as NIU lost to College of the Holy Cross and University of Montana. (Courtesy of Wyatt Richardson)

NIU softball (4-12) left the first day of the Montana Softball Classic winless, sparking a three-game losing streak.

The Huskies lost 5-3 against the College of the Holy Cross Crusaders (6-7) in Game 1 and lost 7-6 against the University of Montana Grizzlies (7-16) in Game 2. NIU possessed at least a two-run lead in both games. 

“We put ourselves into a position to win in both games today,” said NIU softball head coach Christina Sutcliffe. “We need to work smarter and close games out.” 

GAME 1 

The Crusaders overcame a 3-1 deficit in the fourth inning, outscoring the Huskies 4-0 in the last three frames. Holy Cross had a balanced batting attack with five players securing an RBI. Junior utility player Callie Thibault, freshman outfielder Ava Gambichler, freshman pitcher/infielder Maya Gallagher and sophomore shortstop/second base Anna Brait all recorded an RBI. 

Sophomore outfielder Jenna Alesandrelli added on with a home run in the sixth inning. 

NIU lost the lead in the fourth inning thanks to three runs from Holy Cross. Freshman infield/catcher Emma Pietrzak ran in the go-ahead score. 

The Crusaders cycled through three pitchers, starting with senior pitcher/utility player Megan Yurchick. Yurchick pitched three innings before Gallagher took the mound. Sophomore pitcher Sophia Roncone took over in the seventh inning and closed the game. 

The three pitchers combined for two strikeouts and one walk and gave up three runs.. 

NIU sophomore pitcher Lily Cassell pitched a complete game in her first game of the season. Cassell left the mound giving up nine hits and striking out three batters. 

“Lilly did a great job in her first outing of the season,” Sutcliffe said. “We look forward to having her back in the circle.” 

NIU marked the first points on the board after senior catcher/outfielder Ellis Erickson and junior first/third baseman Madison Mathews recorded RBIs in the first inning. The Huskies and Crusaders traded blows, giving NIU a 3-1 lead in the bottom of the second inning. 

NIU remained scoreless for the remainder of the game, sealing the 5-3 Holy Cross victory. 

GAME 2

Despite coming up short, NIU held the lead for six innings and led by as much as 6-2 in the top of the fifth inning. A seventh-inning rally of three Grizzly runs sabotaged the Huskies. 

Freshman infielder Riley Peschek sparked the Montana comeback with a two-run RBI double in the fifth inning, scoring junior outfielder Presley Jantzi and sophomore infielder Chloe Saxton. Janzti and Saxton scored again in the seventh inning, tying the game at 6 from a two-run RBI from junior infielder Jocelyn Eisen. 

Eisen led the Grizzlies with three RBIs and Janzti led the team in hits with three.

Freshman pitcher Rylee Rehbein started on the mound for Montana, giving up 6 runs in just over four innings pitched. Sophomore pitcher Emmalyn Brinka took over for Rehbein in the fifth inning and left the game runless, picking up her second victory of the season. 

Junior pitcher Madison Carlson opened on the mound for the Huskies pitching four innings and giving up 4 runs before senior pitcher Emily Dato took over in the fifth inning. 

Dato pitched two innings and allowed 2 runs in the seventh inning before getting replaced by senior pitcher Claire Norred in the bottom of the seventh inning. Norred finished the game picking up her second loss. 

Erickson put the first points on the board in the top of the first inning after striking a two-run home run to left field and sending senior infielder Caitlyn Shumaker home. Sophomore catcher/utility Trinity Jones Estrada parlayed the home run in the second inning, extending NIU’s lead to 3-0 with an RBI single that scored freshman outfielder Katy Ramage. 

Montana scored on RBI singles in both the second and third inning, narrowing NIU’s lead to 3-2. 

NIU responded in the fifth inning, scoring three runs. Sophomore outfielder Brianna Pechman, Mathews and Erickson all crossed home plate, putting NIU up 6-2. NIU proceeded to go cold, remaining scoreless for the rest of the game. 

Junior infielder Hannah Jablonski notched the 7-6 Montana victory with an RBI single sending junior outfielder Jessica Stanfield home.