NIU leaves Akron winless, picking up fifth-straight loss

Then NIU freshman pitcher and utility player Danielle Stewart (22) reaches for the ball as then junior catcher Ellis Erickson (23) passes it at home plate during NIU Softballs home game against Central Michigan University March 31, 2023. The Huskies were swept by the University of Akron Zips, losing 7-6 in the final game of the series Sunday. (Northern Star File Photo)
Tim Dodge
Then NIU freshman pitcher and utility player Danielle Stewart (22) reaches for the ball as then junior catcher Ellis Erickson (23) passes it at home plate during NIU Softball’s home game against Central Michigan University March 31, 2023. The Huskies were swept by the University of Akron Zips, losing 7-6 in the final game of the series Sunday. (Northern Star File Photo)

NIU softball (7-18, 1-5 MAC) wrapped up its three-game series losing 7-6 to the University of Akron Zips (13-15, 5-1 MAC), marking the Huskies’ fifth-straight loss. Three home runs headlined today’s game as Huskie senior infielder Caitlyn Shumaker, Zips freshman infielder Delaney Jenkinson and redshirt senior pitcher Cailey Joyce all logged one apiece. 

The Zips trailed NIU in the second, third and fourth innings until a rally of five runs in the bottom of the fifth inning turned the 5-2 deficit into a 7-5 lead for the Zips. Akron came within one run after a pair of RBIs from junior infielder Alexis Campbell and freshman utility Lily Sullivan.

Akron rounded out the bottom of the fifth inning after Jenkinson aimed for the fences with her three-run home run, scoring Sullivan and Campbell and earning the two-run lead. 

The Huskies cycled through three pitchers with sophomore pitcher/utility Danielle Stewart starting. Stewart pitched three innings before getting replaced by senior pitcher Emily Dato. Dato pitched 1.1 innings and gave up four runs before getting replaced by junior pitcher Madison Carlson. Carlson closed the game giving up three hits and one run.

Joyce started from the pitcher’s circle for the Zips, but was replaced after giving up 11 hits and five runs in 4.1 innings pitched. Sophomore pitcher Haley Croyle took over in the top of the fifth inning and closed the game. Croyle left the circle giving up two hits and one run. 

Shumaker scored the first run of the game after logging a home run to left field in the top of the second inning. Senior catcher/outfielder Ellis Erickson parlayed the homerun with a RBI single, bringing in junior middle infielder/outfielder Avery Carnahan for a 2-0 NIU lead. 

Akron immediately responded in the bottom of the second inning after Joyce cracked a homerun, scoring herself and Campbell. 

The Huskies went up 4-2 in the top of the third inning after sophomore pitcher/outfielder Kiley Conner logged a two RBI single. In the top of the fifth inning, NIU freshman outfielder Katy Ramage gave NIU its biggest lead of the day – 5-2 – after profiting on a sacrifice bunt by Carnahan.

Following Akron’s five unanswered runs, Carlson closed NIU’s deficit to one after capitalizing on a sacrifice fly by Carnahan. The Huskies were unable to score again, leading to the 7-6 loss. 

UP NEXT 

NIU returns to action against DePaul University at 2 p.m. Tuesday at Mary M. Bell Field in DeKalb. Streaming will be available through NIU Athletics and live stats will be available on SIDEARM Sports