Tennis Sweeps MAC Doubles Team of the Week

Katherine Follmer
NIU sophomore Nataly Ninova prepares for a strike against Eastern Illinois University on March 9. Ninova and her doubles partner, junior Erika Dimitriev, earned MAC Doubles Team of the Week honors, along with NIU seniors Mikael Vollbach and Cheng En Tsai. (Northern Star File Photo)

NIU swept the Mid-American Conference Doubles Team of the Week honors, with a team from both NIU men’s (15-3, 4-1 MAC) and women’s tennis (12-7, 1-2 MAC) being awarded the honor. 

Senior duo Cheng En Tsai and Mikael Vollbach were named the MAC men’s tennis doubles pair of the week, after clinching the doubles point in the Huskies 6-1 win against the University of Toledo. 

The duo holds a 12-5 record on the season, and a 3-1 MAC record in the No. 1 doubles spot, where they have played all season. 

Sophomore Nataly Ninova and junior Erika Dimitriev were named the MAC women’s tennis doubles team of the week after winning the match that clinched NIU’s doubles point in its 4-3 win against the University of Western Michigan. They were also leading their match against the University of Miami when the match was ruled incomplete after Miami earned the doubles match. 

The pair hold a 4-3 record on the season in completed matches, with seven matches being ruled incomplete. 

This is the second time that Ninova and Dimitriev have earned MAC doubles honors this season, after being awarded the honor in January. 

NIU men’s tennis returns to action at home at 1 p.m. Saturday against the University of Illinois Chicago (9-7, 1-4 MAC) at the Nelson Tennis Center at Chick Evans Field House. Live stats will be available via Track Tennis.

NIU women’s tennis is on the road at noon CT Friday at The Chippewa Club in Ypsilanti, Michigan, when they face another conference opponent in Eastern Michigan University (7-8, 1-2 MAC).