Huskies bats silenced by Bowling Green pitching

Totus Tuus Keely
Senior outfielder/catcher Collin Summerhill drives a baseball off his bat against Bowling Green State University on Saturday. The Huskies were swept by the Falcons in a doubleheader Saturday. (Totus Tuus Keely | Northern Star)

DeKALB – The Bowling Green State University Falcons (15-10, 12-0 MAC) continued their reign over the Mid-American Conference with a doubleheader sweep of NIU baseball (10-21, 6-9 MAC) to remain unbeaten in conference play.

After taking down the Huskies 7-4 Friday, the Falcons needed just four pitchers through Saturday’s doubleheader sweep. Bowling Green took the first game of the twinbill 9-3 and won the second game 11-1 via slaughter rule. 

“Disappointed, really, with how today went,” said NIU baseball head coach Ryan Copeland. “I thought after yesterday it was very evident that we belong with them (Bowling Green) and I felt really good going into the series. I actually felt better about our chances to win the series after yesterday and we just didn’t play well today.”

Bowling Green junior pitcher Nic Good pitched seven innings in Game 1, allowing just two earned runs on three hits. Bowling Green junior pitcher Landon Willeman started on the mound in Game 2, allowing zero earned runs on five hits in six innings of work. 

GAME 1

Coming off of two wins in his last two starts, redshirt sophomore pitcher Adam Brouwer struggled against the MAC’s best. Brouwer allowed six earned runs on 12 hits, lasting just four innings and suffering the loss.

“On the mound, we gave up a lot of big innings, especially early,” Copeland said. “You start to feel that and then it gets really, really hard to score, and you feel like you’re always playing from behind.”

Bowling Green junior outfielder Nathan Archer launched two home runs and finished Game 1 3-for-5 with 3 RBIs. 

The Huskies managed just four hits in Game 1, two of which coming off the bat of senior infielder Jake Nelson. Senior infielders Mason Kelley and Andre Demetral accounted for the Huskies’ only RBIs. 

After falling behind 2-0 in the top of the first inning, the Huskies immediately followed with two runs in the bottom half of the first frame. Kelley drove in junior outfielder JP Gauthier on a groundout to get the Huskies on the scoreboard and senior infielder Eric Erato scored on a wild pitch to knot the score at 2-2. 

Archer’s second home run in as many innings put the Falcons up 4-2 in the top of the second inning. Archer’s two-run shot proved to be the game winner as the Huskies never retook the lead.

Demetral’s second inning RBI single brought the Huskies to within one at 4-3 but Bowling Green’s pitching dominated the rest of the way, allowing just two hits over the final seven innings. 

The Falcons scored two runs in the fourth inning and three in the sixth inning to take a commanding 9-3 lead. Freshman pitcher/first baseman TJ Takats provided a two RBI double in the fourth inning and senior outfielder Jack Krause hit a two-run home run in the sixth inning.

After Good’s departure, Bowling Green senior pitcher Peyton Wilson pitched clean 8th and 9th innings to secure the 9-3 win for the Falcons.

GAME 2

The Falcons controlled Game 2 from start to finish, never trailing and sealing the victory in just seven innings. The Huskies’ lone run came via an error by Bowling Green sophomore infielder Sam Seidel.

All four NIU pitchers in Game 2 gave up at least one earned run. Senior pitcher Dominic Hann suffered the loss, allowing three earned runs on five hits in four innings pitched.

As in Game 1, Bowling Green used just two pitchers in Game 2. After Willeman’s six innings of one run ball, sophomore pitcher Jacob Turner pitched the seventh and final inning. 

Nelson was once again a bright spot for the Huskies, going 2-for-3 with a double. Junior outfielder CJ Cepicky also recorded two hits in the losing effort. 

“Nelly’s (Nelson) has been very consistent for us all year,” Copeland said. “We’ve moved him around the lineup quite a bit as well. We’ve had him at the top, down at the bottom. No matter where we put him, he’s found a way to get his hits.”

Bowling Green scored three runs in the second inning and five runs in the fifth inning to take an 8-1 lead. Freshman catcher Garrett Wright poked a two-RBI single in the second inning and senior infielder Landon Roque notched a two-RBI single in the fifth inning.

Sophomore pitcher/outfielder DJ Newman blasted a two-run home run in the top of the sixth inning to put the Falcons up 10-1. Bowling Green added one more run in the seventh inning to take an 11-1 lead. 

After the Huskies failed to score in the bottom half of the seventh inning, the game was called due to the slaughter rule. 

UP NEXT

The Huskies’ next game will be against Eastern Illinois University at 3 p.m. Tuesday in Charleston, Illinois. Live stats will be available via SIDEARM Stats.