Student Wellness to host Spring into Wellness Week

Gabby Crabtree
A whiteboard with a list of Student Wellness Week activities written on it sits in the Holmes Student Center. April 8 to 12 NIU is hosting Student Wellness Week events for students to relax. (Gabby Crabtree | Northern Star)

DeKALB Student Wellness has organized an entire week of events dedicated to wellness programming, mindfulness and relaxation for NIU students.

From April 8 to April 12, Starbucks will offer a Lavender Green Tea Lemonade. The Huskie Den will offer a BBQ Chicken Wrap on a whole wheat tortilla. 

Any student who attends a Spring Into Wellness week event may also receive a 10% off coupon for the specialty items, but coupons are limited per event. 

NIU Counseling and Consultation Services has partnered with NIU Dining, Campus Activities Board, the Asian American Resource Center and the Gender and Sexuality Resource Center to plan events and offer specialty items for student participation Monday through Friday. 

MONDAY

Smart Pong: From 2 p.m. to 4 p.m. in the Holmes Student Center attendees can learn about smart goal setting. This is an Honors Connect and Business Passport event. 

TUESDAY

Chilling with Chase: From 12:30 p.m. to 1:30 p.m. in the Holmes Student Center Wellness Lounge, Room 250, dog petting will take place. Attendees can play with therapy dog Chase. 

Procrastination Café: This weekly event from 5 p.m. to 8 p.m. happens at Holmes Student Center in the College Grind. This allows students to eat free snacks and win prizes for completing homework assignments.

Sowing Seeds for Mental Wellness: This event will take place from 2 p.m. to 3 p.m. in the Holmes Student Center University Suite. This self care workshop offers ways for students to practice self care and participate in creative activities. Pre-registration is required for this event. This is an Honors Connect and Business Passport event. 

That Sucked Now What: From 5 p.m. to 7 p.m. this event will be hosted in the Asian-American Resource Center. Author Neeta Bhusan will discuss her latest book “That Sucked Now What” and present an interactive workshop for students to practice resilience. This is an Honors Connect and Business Passport event.

WEDNESDAY

Sowing Seeds for Mental Wellness: From 2 p.m. to 3 p.m. this event will take place for a second day in Holmes Student Center University Suite. Pre-registration is required. This is an Honors Connect and Business Passport event. 

Exotic Fruit Tasting: The tasting from 4:30 p.m. to 8 p.m. will take place in Patterson Dining Hall. Different fruits from around the globe will be available for tasting for a meal swipe or paying students and faculty. 

Blooming Minds, Embracing Mental Health: From 5 p.m. to 7 p.m. this event will be hosted in the OASIS at the Holmes Student Center as a mental health awareness event. The event will include many activities such as coloring pages, a scavenger hunt and more. This is an Honors Connect and Business Passport event. 

Mindfulness & You: From 5 p.m. to 6 p.m. in the Illinois Room at the Holmes Student Center. Mindfulness & You will be hosted for students to practice mindfulness in a creative way by creating a Free Bird Collage. This is an Honors Connect and Business Passport event. 

THURSDAY 

Coping Skills Workshop: From 1 p.m. to 2 p.m. Counseling and Consultation Services will host a virtual workshop on Microsoft Teams about coping skills. Staff will help students practice and learn coping skills for different emotions during stressful times. This is an Honors Connect and Business Passport event.

Solar New Year: From 2 p.m. to 4 p.m. at the Asian-American Resource Center, the Solar New Year will be celebrated with a watercolor painting program. This is an Honors Connect and Business Passport event. 

Crafting Gender: Building Self-Care, Flowers, and Friends: From 4 p.m. to 6 p.m. in the Holmes Student Center, Room 250 the Gender and Sexuality Resource Center will co-host the event with Student Wellness. This event is meant to prioritize your wellbeing and self care by engaging in painting, crafts and eating snacks.

Glow Your Wellness: From 7 p.m. to  9 p.m. in MLK Commons, this CAB event will feature glow in the dark wellness activities such as yoga, tricycle races and crafts. This is an Honors Connect and Business Passport event. 

FRIDAY

Unwind and Unplug: The final event is from 1 p.m. to 4:30 p.m. at the East Lagoon. This half-day retreat will feature nature walks, crafts and other activities that will allow your mind, body and soul to be immersed with nature. This event requires pre-registration. This is an Honors Connect and Business Passport event.