SGA to hold special election

The Student Government Association sign hangs on a wall in the Holmes Student Center in the OASIS pit in 2022. SGA is hosting a special election on Wednesday for 10 open legislative seats. (Northern Star File Photo)

DeKALB – The Student Government Association will host a special election online Wednesday for the 10 open legislative seats.

A spot in the College of Education, College of Health and Human Sciences, College of Visual and Performing Arts, College of Law and Graduate at Large along with five Senate Seats are available. 

Students who are interested are invited to an informational meeting from 5 p.m. to 6 p.m. Monday at the Holmes Student Center in OASIS Room G27B.

Paperwork to be a candidate in the election is due at 7 p.m. Tuesday. 

The SGA senate is responsible for passing legislation, approving new clubs and distributing funds to different clubs.

The SGA senate has meetings at 2 p.m. on Fridays in the HSC Skyroom. Senators also have committee meetings throughout the week.

According to Article VII, Section 6, part A of the SGA bylaws, “In the event the initial election did not produce a winner, or the number of senators fail to meet 50% of the Available Seats, a special election shall be held.”

Students can contact Election Commissioner Niko Bereolos at [email protected]