SGA Senate reworks constitutional bill

Three people stand at podiums gesturing and speaking. The Student Government Association met on Friday to discuss potential constitutional bills about the Supreme Court and SGA stipends. (Northern Star graphic)

DeKALB – On Friday, the Student Government Association senate continued to discuss constitutional bills. Two of which, SR55049 and SR55050, were read again and will be voted on at the next SGA senate meeting.

BILL TO CLARIFY SELECTION CRITERIA OF SUPREME COURT JUSTICES

The constitutional bill, SR55050, which would prohibit the appointment or approval of Supreme Court justice’s who could cause a majority among justices of the same student organizations, was discussed once more amongst the senators prior to being voted on this coming Friday. 

The bill originally included legislation that would allow for a quorum to be met for the Supreme Court with a chief justice and two associate justices. This part of the legislation was removed.

Senators such as Lucas Osman and Demetri Anastopoulos disagreed with the bill, noting it could complicate the appointment process for new justices.

Deputy Speaker Chris English said the senate should consider the fact that the Supreme Court worked on the bill with him when voting on it Friday.

“This was originally drafted last year with suggestions, conversations and ultimately approval of the chief justice at the time,” English said. “So this was done in partnership with the Supreme Court, the Supreme Court did agree to this, they suggested this in partnership with me.”

BILL TO ENSURE SGA SUPREME COURT FOLLOWS CODE OF PROCEDURE

Another constitutional bill was discussed by the SGA senate. SR55057 would require justices to be questioned about their objectivity to a case. Additionally, it would ensure that if the Supreme Court justices could not meet due to recusal from a case, the case could still be processed by either the SGA senate or the SGA’s advisor.

The case would first be heard and processed by the senate but in a scenario where the senate could have to recuse itself, the case could fall to the SGA’s advisor.

“No matter what, a case can always be heard,” English said.

Senator Anastopoulos did not approve of the legislation and said the bill would give the senate too much power.

“This piece of legislation that we’re looking at right here just straight up says that we do not trust the Supreme Court as a whole,” Anastopoulos said.

NOMINATIONS FOR SGA SENATE SPEAKER

The SGA senate opened the floor for nominations for the speaker position for the 56th session of the SGA.

The nominations for the position included: Clerk Manny Corpuz, Senator Matt Robinson and Senator Alexia Musgraves.

At the next senate meeting nominated candidates will be given five minutes to speak on why they should be elected and will be voted on after.

RESOLUTION TO ALLOW SGA SPEAKER TO DETERMINE STIPEND AMOUNTS FOR SENATORS

The resolution, 55061, would allow for the speaker of the senate to decide potential amounts for senators to receive at the end of the semester. To determine the amount of a stipend, the speaker will be required to submit a criteria list which will need senate approval.

The speaker of the senate will also be allowed to prevent senators from receiving a stipend with proper reasoning and evidence.

RESOLUTION TO DETERMINE HOW STIPENDS WILL BE AWARDED

The resolution, 55062, would require a review of work by the Office of the Speaker and SGA advisor to determine stipends for senators and those in stipend positions in the SGA.

RECOGNITION OF A NEW STUDENT ORGANIZATION

The Afro Heat Dance team was officially recognized by the SGA senate at Friday’s senate meeting.

SENATOR ANASTOPOULOS CALLS OUT OTHER SENATORS

Near the end of the SGA senate meeting, Senator Anastopoulos called out both Sergeant-At-Arms Niko Bereolos and Senator Robinson.

Anastopoulos did not approve of Bereolos’s “outburst” during the meeting. Bereolos raised his voice during the meeting, claiming the elections would have run smoother had certain candidates not “cheated” during them. 

Anastopoulos also said to the senate that during the meeting, Robinson had been working on his homework rather than doing his job as a senator.

“No point of order was being forced, as well as in previous meetings as well, I was insulted by another senator and nothing was said about that either,” Anastopoulos said.

SGA meetings are open to the public and held at 2 p.m. on Fridays, with locations posted in the senate’s agendas. SGA minutes and intent-to-speak forms are available on Huskie Hub.