Driver collides with NIU Huskie Bus in Virgil

Gabby Crabtree
Huskie buses sit parked in the Huskie Line bus barn. On Sunday at Francis Road in Virgil Township near Illinois Route 38, police responded to a car crash involving a Huskie Bus. (Gabby Crabtree | Northern Star)

DeKALB – A 25-year-old St. Charles driver is in critical condition after colliding with an NIU Huskie Bus on Sunday.

Around 8:39 p.m. Sunday, Kane County Sheriff’s deputies were dispatched to an accident at Francis Road in Virgil Township near Illinois Route 38.

While driving north on Francis Road, the St. Charles driver of a blue 2021 Hyundai Venue made a wide right turn into oncoming traffic where the Route 12 Huskie Bus Line was traveling west on Route 38. 

The bus was unable to stop and collided with the vehicle, resulting in severe front-end damage to the car and minor front-end damage to the bus, according to a release from the Kane County Sheriff’s Department.

The driver of the car suffered multiple traumatic injuries and was transported to Delnor Hospital in Geneva before being airlifted to Loyola Hospital in Maywood for further care. No further information is disclosed on her condition.

The bus driver, a 66-year-old man from Carpentersville, and a few of the 22 bus passengers onboard were transported to local area hospitals for minor injuries.

The Route 12 bus was traveling back to DeKalb after returning from the Elburn Metra station when the accident occurred.

DeKalb Transit Manager Michael Neuenkirchen said accidents involving the Huskie Bus Line are rare considering the “millions of miles” the buses traverse inside and outside of DeKalb.

“This is the most severe collision we’ve had in five years since the system’s been set up,” Neuenkirchen said.

Neuenkirchen said the bus involved in the accident will be investigated by the Kane County Sheriff’s detectives before being repaired by DeKalb Public Transit.

The Kane County Sheriff’s Department will continue to investigate the crash.