Campus Activities Board hosts carnival event

Hundreds attend CAB carnival event
Katherine Follmer
Devante Lee, a first-year computer science major, rides the mechanical bull during the CAB Carnival event Friday. In addition to the mechanical bull, the carnival also consisted of outdoor games, rock climbing and food trucks. (Katherine Follmer | Northern Star)

DeKALB – Students played games, ate at food trucks, spun around on carnival rides and tried to not fall off a mechanical bull at the end of the semester carnival event hosted by the Campus Activities Board on Friday.

From 3 p.m. to 7 p.m. Friday at Stadium Drive, CAB hosted their annual A Day at The CAB Carnival event as a way for students to relax and have fun before finals. Students had to check in to the event to receive a wristband, which allowed students to participate in the activities.

Gavin Kent, a junior chemistry major who is the trending programming chair for CAB, said the event facilitated community bonding.

“I guess just to bring the community together. We rarely have events that display that,” Kent said. “We’ve just now started the Food Truck Wednesdays which I think is really good at bringing the community together and kind of gives it a campus feel. But we want to start doing more stuff like this. Just like bring everybody together, hang out and have a good time.”

The carnival consisted of human bowling, caricatures, rock climbing, ax throwing and a mechanical bull, among other things.

There were also food trucks for students to purchase food. The food trucks that were available were Main Squeeze, Ben & Jerry’s, Cugini Pizza and Sweet Butts, which are food trucks that are also at the Food Truck Wednesdays.

849 students registered to attend the carnival, according to Huskie Hub.

Students waited in lines of up to 100 to experience the carnival rides and to play outdoor games such as outdoor Connect Four, Kan Jam or outdoor chess.

Alicia Collazo, a sophomore nursing major, said she liked the event and felt that it was something for people to enjoy given the stress that comes with finals.

“I think it’s really nice to have after like finals stress and everything,” Collazo said.

Thomas Lulinski, a junior mechanical engineering major, said the carnival provided him the opportunity to try new activities he had never done before.

“I liked the variety of activities. I liked riding the bull, that was fun. There’s a lot of stuff that I haven’t gotten to do before, so it’s cool,” Lulinski said.

To stay up-to-date on activities CAB is hosting, students can visit their Instagram page.