Site chosen for possible vote on NIU judicial code

By Michael McCulloh

A location was announced on Wednesday for a committee meeting that might bring about a vote on whether the University Council will have authority to approve and amend the Student Judicial Code.

The meeting was tentatively scheduled for Lowden Hall, but a different location was considered after it was learned that an unknown number of students would be attending.

The meeting is now scheduled for Friday in the Heritage Room of the Holmes Student Center.

“We’re getting a sense there will be a multitude of students, so we might as well accommodate them,” Norman Magden, chair of the Rules and Governance Committee said at a steering committee meeting.

Magden added that the committee was not hiding anything (in delaying the location), though he felt someone might get that impression by reading The Northern Star.

There is no guarantee the committee will even vote on the matter, Magden said. “There may or may not be a finalization of the issue on Friday,” he said.

There have been no positive stands for the original proposal so far, including the proposal’s creator—English Professor James Giles.

Giles said he has been open to change and that he was impressed by Graduate School Dean Jerrold Zar’s idea at last Friday’s meeting to change the word “approve” to “recommend” in the proposal.

As the system currently stands, the Judicial Advisory Board makes changes to the code and allows the UC to review the codes as a courtesy. There is an equal amount of student and administrative members in the JAB.