Not too late to make Spring Break plans

By Rebecca Keener

Panic has set in as students begin to realize that Spring Break is a mere three days away and they have no plans.

For those who have waited until the last minute to decide to take a vacation and now think it’s too late, think again.

It is never too late to plan a trip, but the longer a reservation is put off, the higher the cost of getting there becomes.

Jo Puttkammer, student organizer of Spring Breaks for Royal Travel, said, “Ideally, a student should start making reservations for their trip six weeks prior to the date of Spring Break.”

Many of the local travel agencies need the advanced notice to get the best deal for the customers. Special rates and cheaper seats on the airplane depend on the time customers give the travel agent.

The rate quoted from Carder-Hamlin Travel Agency Ltd. on a trip to Florida from March 8 to 17 at this time is $821. The price is so high because a seven-day advanced notice is not given.

Carlson Travel Network-County Travel gives a broad estimate for travel to California at this time as $453. This price could vary depending on the conditions at the time of purchase.

The Campus Activities Board also set up two trips that NIU students could take. Students had their choice of a bus trip to Daytona, Fla., for $300 or a bus trip to Panama City, Fla., for $255. At this time, only one trip to Daytona is left.

Royal Travel Tours also had package deals for NIU students for Spring Break. Trips included a bus trip to South Padre anywhere from $362 to $432, a car trip to Panama City, Fla., where the students drive their own cars and hotel accommodations are paid for at $173. Lastly, an air flight to Cancun, Mexico costs from $489 to $619.

Beachlife Communications, whose main office is located outside of Daytona, is also a place students can consult to help them plan Spring Break. By calling 1-800-828-6925, students can get information on any beach.

The service answers questions about the most popular vacation spot, state drinking laws and the biggest sponsors of Spring Break programs.