Code protects students called to duty

By Michael McCulloh

NIU President John La Tourette told fellow faculty members Wednesday that students called to duty in the Persian Gulf won’t be penalized academically.

La Tourette said that an addition to the university’s codes was introduced in September to refund housing and tuition fees when a student is called to active duty in the Middle East.

The code protects students called to duty from penalties due to incomplete courses, La Tourette said.

The University Council’s first meeting of the spring semester didn’t pass without some mention of the conflict in Saudi Arabia and its effect on NIU students.

The issue came up after La Tourette asked if there was any unfinished business or matters anyone wanted to discuss. Council member Larry Smith, a first year law student, voiced his concerns about the Gulf situation.

Smith said he had one brother who served in Vietnam and another who is now serving in the Gulf. “As students we should say something one way or the other about the situation,” he said, encouraging the university to take an active stance in the crisis.

Council member Bob Tisch said he heard a report on the radio about NIU students being taken out of school. Tisch said he felt the provost and president should bring up dismissing penalties for students who go on military leave.

“It’s bad enough to be sent there, and worse to lose your place at the university or your chance to complete coursework,” Tisch said.

La Tourette agreed and reminded members that NIU is following an executive order from former governor Jim Thompson. The order demands employers cover the difference of state agency salaries and continue insurance programs for employees called to active duty.

The Board of Regents will extend the proposal in a meeting next week.