Albright’s squad aims for encore

By Steve Dennis

Chants of “N-C-A-A” still echo in Chick Evans Field House. Fortunately or not, the incantations still ring in the minds of NIU women’s basketball fans, too.

Coach Jane Albright and the 13 members of the 1990-91 cast would like to put 1989-90’s successful campaign in the history books and strut their new stuff.

“Last year is history,” Albright said. “We’re all very proud of what we achieved, but this year’s team is a new role. Quite frankly, we don’t play the same schedule…”

That’s for sure. Eight teams from the 1990 NCAA tournament field appear on the Huskies’ schedule this time around, but half of them are coming to play in DeKalb where NIU is 24-2 over the past two years.

NCAA quarterfinalist Washington and second-round loser Maryland join the Mid-American Conference’s Western Michigan in the annual NIU/Contel Fastbreak Fest field (Dec. 1-2).

Not to mention regional qualifier Vanderbilt, perennial power Stephen F. Austin, area rival Northwestern, heartbreaker Purdue and record-attendance getter and a sure-to-be heated rivalry with North Star Conference foe, DePaul.

After Albright and company survive the trip down post-season lane, the 14-game NSC schedule surfaces. Both NIU and the Blue Demons, the only teams to share the NSC throne in the past three seasons, will be feeling the heat from hungry conference adversaries, Wisconsin-Green Bay, Akron and Valparaiso. Credit their appetites to the added incentive of an automatic NCAA berth for the 1991 NSC champs.

We have people in new roles with new responsibilities…”

Maybe there will be chants of “N-C-A-A” again this season, but there definitely won’t be any “Ohh-C.O.-Ohh-Ohh” chants for C.O.- Carol Owens. The biggest question mark for the “new” Huskies is finding post-players to fill the vacancies left by three graduating frontliners. All-time NIU leading scorer, Carol Owens and career rebound leader, Tammy Hinchee topped Huskie charts in scoring and rebounding throughout the 1989-90 season. Also missing from the 26-5 puzzle is NIU’s all-time best free throw shooter, Kris Weis.

“I doubt if anyone can lose three starters and not be concerned,” the seventh year coach said. “At the same time, I have great confidence in the returning players and the new people joining our program.”

One area where the coach can brag about is the guard scenario. NIU boasts a trio of seniors at the ball-handling position. First off is All-America hopeful Lisa Foss. The two-time Huskie MVP and scoring champion (‘87, ’88) placed third last season behind Owens and Hinchee in the scoring department. Foss owns an 18.9 career point average and is projected to dethrone Owens as NIU’s all-time leading scorer. The 5-7 sharp-shooter also proved her set-up ability (74 assists) and defensive skills (62 steals) by the end of last season.

“I really think this will be the best year of Lisa’s life,” Albright said. “She will be challenged to become a team leader and to take her non-scoring game to new heights.”

At the top of the key and quarterbacking the Huskies fast-break oriented offense for the third straight year is Denise Dove. Already NIU’s career assist leader, Dove also draws out opposing defenses with her three-point expertise.

“I think you’re going to see a little more three-point attempts this year,” Albright hinted.

Toby Meeks, who saw action in all 31 games last year, will get the call from Albright time and time again this year. Meeks adds an extra-quickness to the team and is expected to see time all around the perimeter.

“Denise and Toby will have their versatility put to the test this season,” Albright said. “Both can penetrate for scoring or assists, and both are legitimate scoring threats.”

New names on the Huskie roster include Debbie Teske and Cindy Conner. Teske, a University of Arizona transfer, sat out last season due to the NCAA transfer rule which bars an athlete’s eligibilty for one year following a move. Teske is tabbed as a scorer. Joining her as another big guard is Conner. The Proposition 48 red-shirt is also high on Albright’s immediate impact list.

Rounding out the guard-heavy Huskies are two walk-ons. Senior Denise Lipnisky and Sophomore Julie Gainer, who should both see time off the bench.

The paint picture is filled with inexperience. Filling the holes along the baseline are six players with little starting time, but plenty of reserve action. Juniors Dee Dee Jeske and Tracy Mondek played in all 31 games last season, sophomores Tiana Burkholder and Dianna Wingis provide the Huskies with considerable inside height and freshmen Soyini Chism and Angela Lockett join the Post Crew.

Jeske and Mondek obviously have the most experience. At 6-1, Mondek is a stellar defensive performer, but needs to upgrade her offensive game, in the eyes of Albright. Jeske is amazingly quick and provides a ferocious threat to opposing offenses.

“Tracy is probably the key player of the coming year,” Albright said. “It’s time for her to show what she learned practicing against Tammy and Carol for two seasons.”

Wingis, the tallest player on the squad at 6’2″, returns to the Huskies after a two-year layoff. The sophomore is expected to help the team in many ways down low this year.

After sitting out the 1989-90 season following knee surgery, Chism is working on her physical aspect, but should get some time off the bench this season.

“We have a lot more size than what I thought we were going to have,” part-time assistant coach Sandra Schuster said. “And the people are really working.”

“Our goal is to be the best team we can be…”

Among others that is. NIU will be looking to win the NSC for the second straight year, which would qualify them for a 1991 post-season berth in the NCAA Tournament. Maintaining its top ranking in both NCAA scoring (No. 1, 94.5 ppg.) and free throw percentage (No. 1, .775) are also high on the list of potential achievements.

Whether the Huskies return to the NCAA or not, Albright’s optimism shone through with her closing remark:

“I’m very happy with this group. I’m excited about their potential and where they want to go.”