NIU attendance answers sought

By David Lance

Take a look at the Norther Star’s help wanted section, and you may find an ad taken out by NIU’s football coach asking for fan-support.

Last Saturday’s game against Arkansas State drew only 6,631 people. The Huskies’ overall home attendance average so far is 12,795. Head coach Jerry Pettibone doesn’t know why the average is so low. “I can’t answer that for you,” Pettibone said. “I don’t know.”

While Huskies’ head coach Jerry Pettibone hasn’t yet resorted to buying space in newspaper, it’s becoming apparent something must be done to boost attendance.

NIU student Dave Eshoo, a sophomore, said the reason why football interest here is low is because the team doesn’t have much tradition. “Football is not a big tradition here like it is at a Big Ten School,” he said.

Pettibone recognizes the fact that his program isn’t steeped in tradition like Big Ten teams. “Except for (the) 1983 bowl team, there hasn’t been any tradition here,” Pettibone said. “We are establishing that now.”

Other students said the team doesn’t receive fan-support because they aren’t on national television. NIU student Alphie Jimenez, a freshman, said, “If they were ranked, they’d be more enjoyable (to watch). (It would be) good to see them on T.V. I’m talking NBC, CBS.”

Pettibone said reasonings like that are puzzling. “That is difficult for me to understand,” he said. “If you’re a true fan, you would want to see the team in person.”

Another NIU student, Jock Robinson, a freshman, said the students lack enthusiasm. “We don’t have school spirit.” Robinson said. “We only get fired-up for Homecoming, and not the rest of the games.”

Pettibone said, “If you have an investment in school spirit, and if you are commited to supporting the team, you should come and do it in person.”

Despite the low attendance figures, Pettibone is confident the team will remain in Division I-A. To stay Division I-A the NCAA requires that a football program average 17,000 people at home, or 20,000 people at home and on the road combined.

Pettibone said the program should meet the requirements by totaling their home and away average. Presently, the Huskies’ total attendance average is 25,025.

Although Pettibone hasn’t begun the vocation of taking out ads in newspapers, he does have a special plea. Pettibone said he would like to see plenty of fans at this weekend’s final home game.

“This Saturday is Senior Recognition Day, and we’re gonna have 21 seniors (recognized),” Pettibone said. “They’ve never been on a losing team.”

“I want this Saturday to be a meaningful experience for the seniors because they deserve it,” Pettibone said.