NIU professor kept busy with positions

By Michael McCulloh

James Lankford leads a busy life.

In addition to his position as a professor of communicative disorders, Lankford has been named to a one-year term as acting dean of NIU’s College of Professional Studies.

Peggy Sullivan, Lankford’s predecessor, was recently named interim director of university libraries. Sullivan is pleased with Lankford’s appointment.

“He has been an asset to the College of Professional Studies in many ways. His rapport with faculty, his knowledge of the university and its governing processes and his position as a respected leader both at NIU and nationally as an audiologist are significant assets in this position,” she said.

Lankford, previously associate dean of professional studies, has been involved with a longitudinal study of hearing loss among farmers and others involved in agriculture. His studies have included more than 1,700 on-site hearing examinations at annual Farm Progress Shows throughout the Midwest region.

Most recently, Lankford went with Audiology graduate students to Amana, Iowa at the end of September.

Research so far has shown that 46 percent of male farmers and 16 percent of females had significant hearing loss. Lankford usually makes recommendations for the farmers he tests.

Well-known in audiology circles, Lankford is a member of professional groups ranging from the American Academy of Audiology to the Acoustical Society of America, among others.

Holding several positions in the past, Lankford is no stranger to the inner workings of the college. He served as executive secretary of the University Council from 1982 to 1984 and also served on the Joint University Advisory Committee to the Illinois Board of Regents.

Lankford came to Northern in 1969 as an assistant professor, was appointed associate professor in 1973 and full professor in 1979. He also works as a teaching associate in surgery at the University of Illinois College of Medicine in Rockford.