Student migration not due to tuition

By Kristiina Ellam

Although rising costs in Illinois colleges and universities might chase students out of state, higher-education officials said tuition is not the main culprit.

Ross Hodel, deputy director of public affairs at the Illinois Board of Higher Education, said there was no rise in tuition for two years and does not see a major increase in the future.

“People are blaming the rising tuition, but the concern is broader ranging than that,” Hodel said.

Money Magazine’s new annual guide, The Money Guide to the Best Colleges in America, analyzed 200 public and private schools. They were ranked according to 17 measures of academic performance and by which delivered “the best education for the buck.”

Topping the list was Cooper Union for the Advancement of Science and Art in New York, with a $300 yearly tuition.

Top-notch schools with low tuition have enormous amounts of endowments and donations, which helps lower tuition rates, said Kathleen Kelly, assistant director of academic affairs at the Illinois Board of Higher Education.

The only public schools in Illinois hitting the list were the University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign and Eastern Illinois University at Charleston, ranked at 16 and 73.

Hodel said college costs such as room and board, student activity fees and other expenses are some reasons contributing to negative attitudes toward state schools.

Tuition is not an issue with student migration, said Assistant Provost Lynne Waldeland. However, she said weighing decisions about what courses of study and possibly breaking family ties are detrimental for students in selecting higher education facilities.

Also, Student Association President Robert McCormack said two main factors students consider when choosing a school are educational quality and costs.