Eighty student groups represented at Expo

By Michelle Landrum

Sophomore computer science major Adama Swick doesn’t appear ferocious, but once this 27-year-old die-hard Star Trek fan goes into character, she’s Ketkela Sutai-Vrag of the Klingon Terror Fleet.

Swick, who is ship’s captain of the NIU Star Trek Club, represented one of about 80 student groups at the second Organizational Expo Wednesday in the Holmes Student Center.

“We’re a very elite Midwestern group,” Swick said, adding the NIU chapter will join Trekkies from around Illinois and Indiana. Minnesota and Wisconsin are the next new lands to explore, she said.

The group will plan monthly meetings which will involve role-playing games, make-up creation, costuming, art work and acting, Swick said.

“It’s a darn bloody good excuse to get together for a beer and pizza party,” she said. “We do all the things Klingons do and we’re proud of it.”

Z. Ahmad, University Programming and Activities program coordinator and student organization specialist, worked to make the Expo a success by planning pinata-making, door prizes and contests.

Since the first Expo last fall, about 10 groups signed up at the event, Ahmad said, adding he also was pleased with the steady flow of browsers and new groups.

Native American Club President Jennifer Meness, a sophomore French major and Algonquin Indian, said she founded the club this semester to pull people together and discover their heritage. The first planned event is a trip to Chicago to see a pow wow the first weekend in November, Meness said.

Renee Manson, a sophomore finance major and National Association for the Advancement of Colored People member, said the NIU chapter received good student response after their first general meeting Tuesday. The chapter formed in July.

Manson said the NAACP is working among its members to build liaisons with other student groups.

Triangle Fraternity members were at the Expo to find members to their growing social fraternity. The frat is open to engineering, physics, computer science, chemistry and computational mathematics students, said Treasurer Lamar Ricks, a junior electrical engineering student.

So far, 32 people have joined the NIU interest group since March 25, said President Dave Vemmer, a senior industrial engineering student.