Privilege abuse sparks discussion on rules

By Beth Behland

The recent abuse of NIU transportation privileges is spurring discussion to limit or axe student organizations’ vehicle usage.

But officials in the Student Affairs office are ready to put up a fight against additional regulations on student groups.

As a result of three Omega Psi Phi members chalking up more than 1,100 extra miles on two fraternity trips and making illegal credit card purchases while using NIU’s state vehicles, some university officials feel the overall system needs to be examined.

James Harder, vice president for Business and Operations, said there has been no official discussion about changing the student organization rental policies, “but the topic has come up just in terms of seeing where we are at.”

However, there is no doubt that officials in Business and Operations “will be looking at the overall use of university automobiles,” Harder said. Transportation matters fall under Harder’s office.

At this point, Harder said he is not sure what kind of changes—if any—he would recommend for the Transportation Department.

“It’s too premature for me to make any statement about my feelings,” he explained.

Barbara Henley, vice president for Student Affairs, had no problem stating her feelings on more rules or a ban.

“At this particular time, I don’t see a need for more rules and regulations,” Henley said.

The case against Rodney Purdy, James Bester and Curits Adams should be handled as an isolated incident and does not reflect a flaw in the system, Henley said.

Michelle Emmett, University Programming and Activities director, agreed with Henley but has taken additional steps since the incident to make sure student organizations understand their responsibilities.