ISA makes choice without NIU input

By Darrell Hassler

An Illinois student lobbying organization did not consult NIU when choosing a student representative in August for a tuition committee set up by the state, Student Association officials said.

The Illinois Student Association picked the representive, Brian Hopkins of Sangamon State University, for The Joint Committee on ColleGe Tuition. The committee will recommend statewide tuition policies to the Illinois General Assembly in January.

SA Vice President Tanya Smith, who sits on the ISA board, said she was not satisfied with the selection process because the SA could not review the chosen representative’s credentials.

Hopkins will represent Illinois State University, NIU and SSU.

Smith questioned Hopkins’ qualifications because he was only recommended by the ISA and no other institution, including SSU.

“Nopthern Illinois does not want to be taken for granted,” Smith said.

ISA Director David Starette said Hopkins was qualified because of his three years experience with the Board of Regents, his one year experience with the Illinois Senate Appropriataons Committee, and his active support for last year’s tuition freeze. He said Hopkins’ resumes were available.

“We (ISA staff) could think of no one else with the same experience,” Starette said. He said Hopkins had been considered for past committees with the full support of NIU.

SmIth said she was not given any information or a chance to talk to Hopkins. “Dave Starette claims a lot of things that can be debated,” she said.

SA President Rob McCormack said he had talked to Hopkins before he was selected, but nothing was brougHt up concerning the tuition committee.

“I did not know he was recommended by the ISA until I read a Chicago Tribune article,” McCormack said. He said the ISA did not inform him of a selection process or when the selection would be made.

“If the ISA was truly fair about seeking input from all universities, they would have asked for applications from all universities,” he said.

NIU pays about $22,000 annually to the ISA which comes from a $1 fee paid by each student.

Smith said an SA investigative committee will be formed after student elections to evaluate the ISA’s effectiveness.