McCormack prepares to make progess

By Lisa Ferro

Student Association President Robert McCormack is preparing to make progress on all of his campaign promises he made in his spring campaign.

“One of my goals is to demonstrate to the legislature a compelling need toward greater funding of state institutions of higher education,” McCormack said.

“We will be investigating the effectiveness of the Illinois Student Asssociation to make sure students are getting a good return of the investment that each of them makes each year,” he said.

Other goals include:

‘To prevent any move toward mandatory health insurance. “We are concerned with forcing on students insurance that is not needed if they are covered by another plan,” he said.

‘To reform the Student Judicial Code Book. Curt Stein, SA campus welfare committee adviser, is responsible.

‘To plan distribution of and to distribute a Campus Safety Manual which Stein and McCormack developed during the summer and is being printed.

‘To continue pushing for the publication of teacher evaluations. Academics Adviser Colleen Halliman is responsible.

‘To strongly voice concerns with the administration’s plans to build a student life building.

‘To work independently with state campaigns for the U.S. Senate race in Illinois between Sen. Paul Simon, D-Ill., and U.S. Rep. Lynn Martin, R-Loves Park, as well as the gubenatorial race between Republican Secretary of State Jim Edgar and Democratic Attorney General Neil Hartigan.

McCormack has sent letters to Simon, Martin, Edgar and Hartigan inviting them to visit the NIU campus and address the student body.

‘To embark on a voter registration program.

“I’m hopeful that we can make some positive changes at the university for the better of the students,” he said.