CAB, SA presidents work to improve groups’ relationship

By Amy Julian

NIU’s Student Association and the Campus Activities Board it governs will be putting their differences behind them, said CAB President Wendy Reid.

Reid said she and SA President Rob McCormack plan to improve communication lines between the two organizations, something that was not successful last year.

Last year, CAB was dissatisfied with the funding it was receiving from the SA and tried to break its ties with the senate. However, the group’s Fiscal Year 1991 budget was approved in April.

And, the requested budget for FY92 will come before the SA in October for its approval. “They (the SA) understand the importance of CAB to the students,” Reid said.

Reid said she and McCormack plan to meet regularly during the year and “as things come up.” McCormack was unavailable for comment.

“We’re trying. We’ve got all new people in the SA and CAB,” said SA Vice President Tanya Smith, who served as the SA/CAB liaison last year.

Smith said the SA Senate needs to decide if it wants CAB to be a separate organization from the SA and to formalize that relationship.

“There are mechanisms to tie CAB to the SA now,” Smith said. “The senate will decide if they are necesary.”

However, this bond is not consistent with other SA-recognized organizations because they do not have those ties, she said.

Smith said she doesn’t anticipate any CAB business until late September or early October.

“We want to work with CAB. The executive board has no hidden agendas,” she said. “We want to address their needs just like any student organization.”

CAB sponsors many activities for NIU students during the school year. Interested student volunteers work on the committees which plan the activities, such as concerts, fairs, trips and movies.

Reid said many students were recruited for the committees at this year’s Friday fest.

However, students can still attend informational meetings about the committees in the Capitol Room of the Holmes Student Center Sept. 11, 12, 13 at 7 p.m., Reid said.