Who should wave ROTC warning flag is question

By Vickie Snow

An NIU official wants to warn students that ROTC might leave NIU before they do, but who should wave the warning flag is up in the air.

NIU Provost Kendall Baker told the Faculty Assembly Wednesday that students will be cautioned that the Reserve Officer Training Corps might be on thin ice.

When member Sherman Stanage proposed the warning at the assembly’s last meeting, Baker was asked to figure out if NIU or ROTC should carry the responsibility of warning students.

ROTC’s existence at NIU is threatened since the program does not allow homosexuals to become commissioned Army officers.

ROTC has less than two years to alter its discriminatory policies or face removal from NIU campus.

Assembly Chairman J. Carroll Moody said the assembly trusts Baker and his associates will carry through the job of deciding who will write the warning and how it will be sent.

Baker said he met with ROTC Director Kenneth Reeves and Peggy Sullivan, dean of NIU Professional Studies, to get the ball rolling.

“NIU is part of the (discriminatory) debate,” Baker said. “It’s important we inform students. Students are entitled to know about this matter.”

In other assembly business, the external affairs committee previewed its report to the University Council next week about increased representation on certain university groups.

Committee Chairman John De Lillo said Student Association President Huda Scheidelman suggests a faculty regent position be created, noting students will support the seat.

However, De Lillo said the proposal might be part of the SA’s attempts to gain a student representative on the Joint University Advisory Council.

JUAC consists of five members from each Regency school – NIU, Illinois State University at Normal and Sangamon State University in Springfield. NIU is the only school without a student member on JUAC.

JUAC received Board of Regents’ approval last week to start making necessary changes to accomodate a sixth JUAC member.

The seat will be occupied by a Supportive Professional Staff member. However, If a student seat is decided upon, JUAC’s composition will be altered.

The UC will hear JUAC’s ammended bylaws next week before the Regents hear them for information at its next meeting.

The University Council reports the Faculty Assembly’s concerns to the Board of Regents, which is advised by JUAC.