Group targets Watson Creek for cleanup

By Heidi Diaz

Ducks will no longer need to swim between aluminum cans, candy wrappers and newspapers in Waston Creek after Sunday.

About 10 to 15 Sigma Lambda Beta fraternity members will clean up Watson Creek, said Danny Gonzalez, public relations chairman. The newly-formed fraternity will help with campus cleanup efforts Sunday at 1 p.m., he said.

“It’s really kind of an eyesore,” Gonzalez said. “People have thrown things in it,” he said.

The river cleanup crew will start at Lucinda Avenue and University Circle and work down to Montgomery Hall, he said.

President Mario Rueda said his fraternity targeted the creek for cleanup because other organizations are cleaning up the East and West lagoons and the creek needs it, too.

There is a lot of garbage in the creek and along the sidewalks by Neptune Central and Cole Hall, he said. When students look at the creek they see ducks swimming in garbage, Rueda said.

The NIU chapter of Sigma Lambda Beta was started in September and is a “predominantly Hispanic” fraternity, he said. The fraternity “wants to be recognized by the university and other greeks,” Rueda said.

Other campus organizations are planning to clean the East Lagoon on Sunday. Amanda Rutter, assistant recycling center director, said she is encouraged by other groups joining the campus cleanup efforts.

“I’m glad other organiztions are helping” in the cleanup on Sunday, she said. “I think it’s a great idea,” Rutter said.

“It would be very difficult for us to clean up the whole campus,” she said.