SA blamed for students’ ‘lack of interest’ in DOA

By Fred Heuschel

The Day of Action isn’t what it used to be.

Tom Rainey, member of Marxist/Humanist Thought, said today’s Day of Action will not have the significance of previous DOAs due to the splintering of campus organizations.

“The Student Association’s inability to form a coalition of student organizations has caused a lack of student interest in this,” Rainey said.

SA President Huda Scheidelman said the reason why there has been limited press coverage is because plans for DOA were finalized a week ago. However, Scheidelman said she expects good student participation in the event.

The NIU Student Committee on Political Action originally organized DOA II in 1988 when about 400 people participated in a Lincoln Highway demonstration that resulted in the arrest of 79 people.

Hainey, who was the chairman of the now-defunct SCOPA, said he “had totally forgotten Day of Action was coming up.”

He blames the lack of knowledge about today’s DOA on the SA “turning their back on everyone after Day of Action II (1988).”

The SA made a statement “against students who take direct action,” by disbanding SCOPA for their participation in DOA II, Rainey said.

Julie Stege, a member of the Feminist Front, said DOA needs to address the issues of racism and sexism as well as tuition increases because they are all linked.

“Having a broad base pulls people into a movement for greater overall individuality,” Stege said.

But Scheidelman said today’s DOA only will address tuition increases to avoid “confusing the issue. If you don’t specifically address the topic at hand, your going to come out a loser in the end.”